Full sus for a budget of £3.500 ish

shanejones2011
shanejones2011 Posts: 7
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi I'm new to the forum, I have bin easing myself back into mountain biking over the past 2 years at the moment I have a orange crush which I think is great but have bin thinking about getting a full sus. I do all sorts of riding apart from commuting, so what would people recommend for around £3.500 ish had a look at the zesty and spicy also I like the look of the nukeproof mega tr and pulse downhill are these any good? Open to any other makes I'm 5,9 and 17st if that makes a difference

Thanks
Shane

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    At 3.5k I'd be demoing some stuff first.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Have a look at What Mountain Bike's recent Bike Of The Year top ten. They're all around your budget.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Had a quick look they have nukeproofs available for a test ride at degla and like the look of the ns soda air which I've seen for £1800 rrp £2800
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    What sort of travel are you looking at?
  • I am probably looking at over 140mm because I don't think there is any point in getting another bike with 140mm travel when my crush as has that much
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Ok, what sort of riding do you do? You have trail bikes alongside DH bikes on your list, which are both pretty wildly different in what they're designed for.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I am probably looking at over 140mm because I don't think there is any point in getting another bike with 140mm travel when my crush as has that much

Upgrading doesn't necessarily mean getting more travel. A better bike may well have the same travel (or possibly less), but have a lot of other things going for it.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • ej2320
    warpcow wrote:
    Ok, what sort of riding do you do? You have trail bikes alongside DH bikes on your list, which are both pretty wildly different in what they're designed for.

Exactly, if it's just for trail riding and XC I'd say 140mm or less would be good, if you want something a bit slacker that can blast down a DH track as well as trails then I'd look around 150mm - 160mm.. As a general rule, obviously a lot depends on the weight of the bike, how efficient it is with it's travel and gear ratios etc..
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Lapierre Zesty, Yeti SB75 or Transition Bandit. All of which will be better downhill than you will be and will ride better uphill than you can, be lighter than bigger travel bikes and better for 99% of your riding.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Mega TR is excellent, really nice ride. The Pulse is a brilliant bike but only if you don't ever want to ride up hill.
    I would also look at the Kona Process 134.
  • I do abit of everything trails,jumps,attempt downhill courses, looking to get more into downhill that's why I don't know wether to go for a downhill bike or not
  • rockmonkeysc
    A downhill bike can only be used for downhill. They are very good at going downhill very fast but that's all. Hopeless for anything else.
    Everyone should have one though!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    A downhill bike can only be used for downhill. They are very good at going downhill very fast but that's all. Hopeless for anything else.
    Everyone should have one though!

haha this ^^^
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ej2320
    I do abit of everything trails,jumps,attempt downhill courses, looking to get more into downhill that's why I don't know wether to go for a downhill bike or not

If you want a DH bike, that's fine, but as Rockmonkey said you won't be able to ride it up any hills or trails.. You'll either have to push it up or book an uplift

My Covert is probably nearly as fast down the less technical DH tracks as DH bikes so don't think you have to buy a DH bike to ride downhill tracks.. A good slack 160mm bike will be more than enough for DH tracks unless you're entering elite level races.. even so, Sam Hill and the Nukeproof team rode modified Mega AMs at Pietermaritzburg with 165mm rear travel and 180mm front

Sounds cliche but look at 'All Mountain/Enduro' bikes.. they'll be more than enough and will handle anything you throw at them

Other option is to split your budget and buy a DH bike for downhill days and then a trail bike for XC, Trail etc
  • Hector 5
    Hector 5 Posts: 5
    Orange 5 or Gyro
  • ej2320
    Hector 5 wrote:
    Orange 5 or Gyro

...Debatable...
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    ej2320 wrote:
    Hector 5 wrote:
    Orange 5 or Gyro

...Debatable...

Well..... shall we? :wink:
  • ej2320
    BigAl wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    Hector 5 wrote:
    Orange 5 or Gyro

...Debatable...

Well..... shall we? :wink:

For everyone's sake.. we'll leave it up to the OP :lol:

Personally if I was the OP I'd first decide what sort of travel I want, wheel size and aluminium or carbon frame and also do I mind buying 2nd hand
    Then look to see what's on offer.. Some brands to look at; Transition, Mondraker, Nukeproof, Saracen, Intense, Giant, Cube, Whyte, Lapierre, Yeti, Ibis, Norco, Pivot, Devinci, Commencal, Santa Cruz, Trek.. and so on

Then mail order brands such as ; YT Industries, Canyon, Rose..
  • rockmonkeysc
    Forget travel and wheel size. Geometry and build have more effect on how a bike rides.
    Even carbon vs aluminium is less important than how the frame is designed. Carbon can be used to reduce weight or increase strength or it can be used badly to make a heavier, weaker frame.
    Get some test rides.
  • ej2320
    Forget travel and wheel size. Geometry and build have more effect on how a bike rides.
    Even carbon vs aluminium is less important than how the frame is designed. Carbon can be used to reduce weight or increase strength or it can be used badly to make a heavier, weaker frame.
    Get some test rides.

That's what sort of meant.. narrow down some bikes he likes the look of then try them
  • Thanks for all the help there's a lot to think about I've narrowed it down to these I've ruled out the DH bikes
    Orange alpine 160 rs
    Orange five pro
    Nukeproof mega tr
    Ns soda air
    I need to get my head around all the different lapieere zesty and spicy models aswell but the ones above I need to take out for a test ride
  • Last one to add orange patriot I've just seen in the sale
  • ej2320
    Nukeproof mega AM?

You'll get a lot more for your money than an Orange plus it will ride better
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... -14-47867/