1x 10 front ring size advice

coblck
coblck Posts: 217
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Going to buy Hopes new trex cassette expander (40t) and hope retainer front chain ring but what size would you recommend, i do a have decent fitness ride 2-3 times a week and looking for something to get me up the likes of glentress red route, i currently have xt chainset 38-24t with 36 teeth cassette. Was thinking 34 teeth. Any advice or experience would help many thanks. will be going on Giant trance x 29er.
Giant tcr pro ultegra
Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
Voodoo Marasa 2011

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    For a fit rider a range of 1-1 is normally workable. Dropping 2 teeth makes it easier on the really big hills and 4 teeth starts to be pretty easy going, 6 is granny gear range. 34 on a 40 seems small to me. I'd go 36.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    how often do you have to change down to the 24t ring and what gear at the back do you use. you can then use that to work out what you need. I got a 32t ring since I never went out of my middle ring on a 11-34. if the lowest you go would work with a 32 front 36t back then you don't have to get the expander etc
  • rickbst170
    rickbst170 Posts: 228
    Random question, off topic. Sorry.

With 24/38 and 11-36 cassette, how long/many links does your chain have and are you running a long cage rear mech?

Still haven't collected all the parts for my build so can't run a chain around the cogs to size one.

Cheers!
  • coblck
    coblck Posts: 217
    for my setup using shimano xt medium cage clutch mech mate as for links sure its 113 ( sure i removed 3 but it was a while ago) but defo a medium cage mech
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    rickbst170 wrote:
    Random question, off topic. Sorry.

With 24/38 and 11-36 cassette, how long/many links does your chain have and are you running a long cage rear mech?

Still haven't collected all the parts for my build so can't run a chain around the cogs to size one.

Cheers!

Could be anything. Just measure the chain length properly. Mech cage doesn't matter
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How long is your frame, comparing your bike with another that may have a different rear centre length is obviously a stupid idea.

Measure and break at the right point following advice on Sheldon, park tools or the tech docs that came with the chain as they will all give the same result.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rickbst170
    Sorry for the thread hijack. Basically, buying a chainring off a guy. he also has a cassette and chain. He ran this ring as 1x10 but I'll run 2x10. His single ring will be same size as my big ring, so with the same cassette the biggest stretch will be the same I think. Therefore his chain should fit, right? I like theory stuff so wanted to calculate whether that was correct (but ordered a new chain last night anyway by mistake). Don't mind having his as a spare, but wonder if it'll fit. I'm running long cage rear mech and if he has a little clutch mech will the chain still fit? Ta.
  • Chunkers1980
    Might or might not. Depends on the chain stay length.
  • rickbst170
    Not sure what bike he had it on. I'll ask. And if I need to, I'll start a new thread.

The OP said this...
    i currently have xt chainset 38-24t with 36 teeth cassette. Was thinking 34 teeth. Any advice or experience would help many thanks. will be going on Giant trance x 29er.

I'll clear off and leave him his thread back. Ta.
  • Chunkers1980
    Doesn't matter what bike it was. Just measure it properly when you fit it
  • rickbst170
    Yeah, but if I knew what bike it was I'd know the chainstay length and then could work it out (I think). Anyway, got a brand new one now so I'll use that as a reference and see if the old one is too short. If it is, I'll either keep it for spares or sell it.