I need new tyres but which ones ?

Lefire
Lefire Posts: 89
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I need some new tyres for my road bike but when looking online there are sooooo many to choose from that I don't know where to start. The price range is pretty wide and lots of manufacturers.

I have been getting quite a few punctures over the last year, so would like to minimise this.
The ones I have although not warn out do have quite a few small slits in them.
Probably all weather too.

Where do I start ?

Thanks

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Lefire wrote:
    Where do I start ?
    I'd start by reading some of the previous threads on the same topic. This is a frequently recurring theme and even more so at this time of year when everyone's contemplating new tyres for summer.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Decide where you want your tyre to sit on the performance vs puncture resistance scale.

Continental tyres are hard to go wrong with. In order or decreasing puncture resistance, consider:

Gatorskin
    4 seasons
    GP4000s

The gatorskins and 4 seasons are considered "winter" tyres, whereas the 4000s are probably the most popular summer tyre on the market.

I use the competitor to the 4000s, the Michelin pro4 service course. The pro4 endurance is also good, and a little more puncture resistant.

The vredstein fortezza tricomp are also excellent value for money, they're pro4 endurance competitors in terms of puncture resistance, I'd say.

In your position, I'd probably get the vredsteins.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Have a look at the Schwalbe Durano, the standard version. It has great grip, low weight and great puncture resistance. I've got a set fitted at the moment as 'spring' tyres, because I want something fast rolling but resistant to all the crap on the roads at the moment. So far so good !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • +1 for the duranos
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I've just gone for some Vittoria Open Corsa CX tyres.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:

+1 for the Vittoria Open Corsa CX tyres
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    arran77 wrote:

+1 for the Vittoria Open Corsa CX tyres

+1 too. They ride really, really supple.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    MattC59 wrote:
    Have a look at the Schwalbe Durano, the standard version. It has great grip, low weight and great puncture resistance. I've got a set fitted at the moment as 'spring' tyres, because I want something fast rolling but resistant to all the crap on the roads at the moment. So far so good !

^ This
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Got Duranos (28mm) on my commuting bike and Conti 4000s on my road bike (23mm) Both are excellent but the Duranos are my favourite I think. Good combination of performance, grip, puncture resistance and price.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Big fan of the Conti GP4s. No punctures in a couple of thousand miles of all weather riding (25mm version, rider 98kg), however, an emergency stop means that I have a cut in the tread so need to replace and the LBS is asking £55 for new stock ones. If you shop around you can pick up old stock ones for £33 or so but be warned, once they're gone it's big, big bucks. So I'm now looking at Duranos as an alternative.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Rubino pro
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    Rubino Pro's area a good shout, as are Vredstein Tri Comp - last time I checked they could be picked up for under £20 and they are equally as good as their Continental counterparts that sell for much more.
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Lefire wrote:
    I need some new tyres for my road bike but when looking online there are sooooo many to choose from that I don't know where to start. The price range is pretty wide and lots . of manufacturers.

I have been getting quite a few punctures over the last year, so would like to minimise this.
    The ones I have although not warn out do have quite a few small slits in them.
    Probably all weather too.

Where do I start ?

Thanks
    On my work bike Giant Defy 4 i,ve had Schwalbe Marathon plus 25c for the last 18 months. Done almost 11000 Kms with no punctures and they are still going strong. I will never use any other tyre for the work bike than the Marathon plus they are the ultimate bombproof tyres. I don,t recommend them for speed or road holding but they have proved to be almost indistructable since i fitted them.If you want a top all round tyre then the Continental GP4000S is a big favourite amongst many riders.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura