New FOX or ROCKSHOX Forks?? (Advice pls)

philipjones1050
philipjones1050 Posts: 6
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I've an Orbea Full Sus (Oiz Carbon) from 2008. Excellent bike! Very Happy. I sent the Fox 32 F100 RLC forks off for their 2 year overhaul service and have been advised the stanchions are scored - price to fix £340.

So, perhaps it's time to get some new ones and need a little advice. I do mainly XC, with occasional trips to the Lakes and Wales for the usual fun on red/blacks trails.

I've been looking at either a direct replacement, or perhaps something different, like Rockshox SID RCT3 or perhaps push to boat out for some Fox 32 F100 CTD shocks.

Any advise? Don't really want to spend much more than £400-£450 tbh - an unexpected purchase prior to the MTB fun season begins!

P.S. needs to be 1 1/8 steerer / 9mm QR / 26" wheel

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Fox with new uppers, seals and bushings would be about the best fork there. If not an option, the SID for me.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Yep agree with Supersonic. Thats a good vintage you have so after being serviced should work quite nicely. A newer fork maybe a bit lighter but I think SIDS go for around £450 which is a bit more than the price to fix your current forks.
  • Thanks for all the advice guys. However, i can get 2014 RCT3 CIDs for £390 at the moment with Merlin. Are the Fox forks really worth spending that amount on to repair? Are they really that good? I guess only I can make that decision...
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I would say get the sid. Those foxes had at least 2 generations of improvement before fox list the plot so not the best they made.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And even with damaged stantions you'll still get some money for the Fox - stick them on eBay with honest description at 99p, you'll probably be surprised!

SID for my money.
  • jairaj
    ....However, i can get 2014 RCT3 CIDs for £390 at the moment with Merlin ...

in that case go for the SID!
  • Excellent advice, thanks to all. I'll go CIDs and place the Fox Forks on eBay, as suggested. Never thought of doing that...
  • Final newbie daft questions, I've 1 1/8 steerer on the Orbea. There's no conversion kit I can get to allow tapered? I'm 99% certain this can't be done, but can the other way around (i.e. with Smoothie kits)

Looking around for these Forks, so many good deals for tapered steerers :-(
  • jairaj
    what type of headtube do you have? if its an internal or zero stack standard. You might be able to use a external lower headset cup to accept a tapered steerer.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Final newbie daft questions, I've 1 1/8 steerer on the Orbea. There's no conversion kit I can get to allow tapered? I'm 99% certain this can't be done, but can the other way around (i.e. with Smoothie kits)

Looking around for these Forks, so many good deals for tapered steerers :-(

if you have 9mm QR I have these forsale

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1464046/
  • Very happy chappy - managed to secure some brand new Fox F100 FiT RLC 1, 1/8 for £349 - I'll place the old ones on eBay and be honest and see what they fetch.

Thanks too all who offered advice, very much appreciated....