Upgrade bike? Using donor.

sandyballs
sandyballs Posts: 577
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I need the forums expert opinion on the following upgrade. I currently ride a Giant TCR Advanced with full SRAM Red 10 sp, and Mavic Kysirium Elites. After back surgery and many years of physical abuse to my own body I really am feeling pain after every ride.

My suggestion is do I buy the following http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/roubaix-sl4-c2-2014-road-bike-ec053042#features and basically swap all group set and ancils over.

Reasoning: I want to keep with SRAM Red, I can put the Giant back together with the Roubaix parts and sell that to regain some cash, the Roubaix should give me a more relaxed ride and help my back issues.

I have had a bike fit with Adrian Timmis so it's not position, it is my broken body.

I know the BB and crank may need some fettling since the Giant is PF86, but apart from that everything will be a straight swap, I am unsure of how much a Giant TCR Adv would fetch with Sora group set though.

What does the collective brain of the forum think, am I mad or would it be financially the best option? Or other?

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Can you not just get a frame? There are plenty of sportive-oriented ones out there these days (not sure if you can get the Spesh as frame-only).
  • sandyballs
    Roubaix only comes in S-Works flavour as a frame and that's £2600. Have looked at other sportive frames but nothing takes my fancy.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    You might raise more money selling the TCR frame/forks and the spesh. parts separately.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    DJ58 wrote:
    You might raise more money selling the TCR frame/forks and the spesh. parts separately.

Yes I agree with this. Not too many people will want to pay too much for the TCR with sora. Best to split but all in all this will be an expensive exchange.
  • Sandyballs wrote:
    Roubaix only comes in S-Works flavour as a frame and that's £2600. Have looked at other sportive frames but nothing takes my fancy.

What about a Synapse Hi-Mod?

Synapse-Hi-MOD-Disc.jpg
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • sandyballs
    Synapse Carbon does have potential but not the £2500 Hi-Mod, I am trying to keep costs overall to a minimum hence the need to sell the Giant + parts either as a complete bike or separately.

Agree that most would not want a Giant Adv with Sora so separately is the best option at present.

Would ideally like to get @ £700 -£800 for everything I can sell, based on @ £450 for the giant frameset (2009 model).