Hello, newbie needing advice

BLW
BLW Posts: 96
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Firstly Big Hi *waves*

I’m a new to the forum so please be gentle when I no doubt bombard you all with an array of what could be silly questions, hopefully not all though.

So my roots are with my trusty old steed, the MTB (well to be fair it’s fairly new) I’m a bit of an off roadie at heart (both running and on two wheels…oh and not forgetting the horse) but apart from the farm tracks and I have to travel to get any ‘proper use’ out of my MTB but I’ve slogging it these last few months out on the roads (which I’ll admit is great for fitness and training) but if I know I’m just sticking to tarmac, oh and the fact that I’m not overly impressed when all you Lycra Lot go speeding past me like I’m stood still (with a slight grin on your faces just to add insult to injury) :twisted: when in fact I’m peddling like hell lol, I don’t mind really… I equally find it rather amusing to be fair!

So you could say I’ve finally come to my senses (I think) and decided to buy myself a road bike, but I’m at a loss as to what to look for and generally would really appreciate some friendly advice, pointers, do and don’t’s, what makes and models to look for or avoid like the plague. What speed, frame size, chain set, any extras I should be looking out for.

I’ll give you a bit more info to help:-, female, 5’6 (long legs, short torso) to be used few times in the week and on weekends, I’m currently doing around 18 – 27 miles a few times a week on my MTB, I know that’s not far but I do really push it as a way of keeping fit) but I’d like to go much further and start doing some sportive rides, something to challenge myself really as a way of keeping fit and of course enjoying the countryside a bit more this summer.

As for my budget, well anything under £500.00, the cheaper the better though (as it was not long since I bought myself a new mtb), I’m quite happy to buy a decent second hand bike if it’s in good working order (presume I’ll get more for my money that way), then if I do well and truly get bitten by the road bug and want to ride more competitively, then I’ll invest in a better bike in due course.

Ok, hit me with it!  *puts tin hat on* :D

Thanks in advance

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Hi, and welcome. In last weeks Cycling Weekly April 17, there is a listing of bikes in the £750-£1300 range. I know that is over your budget, however it lists the women's specific bikes from the major manufactures, so you could use it to cross reference a search on Wiggle, Evans and other online retailers to see what is on offer in your price range, you may be able to find a 2013 model bike at a discounted price. That should give you and idea of what is available.

Also visit your LBS and explain what you want the bike for and see what they have to offer, sit on a few bikes and get sized up for the correct frame. Go to a number of different shops if you can, ask for a test ride.

Also post on the Board > Road > Women
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Hi! And welcome. You sound like you're doing exactly what I did last summer, I was doing quite a lot of road miles on a MTB before deciding to give road bikes a go. I bought a Giant Defy and love it, but either I got lucky with my choice, or I just think its great because I know no better!! I'm sure others will give you some advice on what to look for.

Hope you take to the road bike, but don't forget the MTB (like I do!). After my first 50+ mile ride last week I'm taking the MTB out tonight for a ride!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the difference!! :D
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • dj58
    Just to concur with Schoie81, I also purchased my first road bike, a Giant Defy, last autumn after using my old rigid framed MTB as a commuting/road bike for years. You won't regret having the choice to switch between road and off-road rides. :D
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Yes a second-hand bike can be very good - IF you have the mechanical knowledge and ability to evaluate its condition and do any minor adjustments & 'simple' repair and maintenance.
    I wouldn't buy second-hand if a major part is broken or missing. Tires and tubes are easy to replace.

I'd stay away from road bikes that have 'twist knob' shifters. Shift levers that are combined with the brake hoods/levers are preferred. Also, a '9-speed' drive train is probably more durable than the current 10-speed and 11-speed offerings.

BIKE FIT .....
    Riding position on a road bike is usually lower and more stretched-out than MTB, but it must still be comfortable. Most riding will be with hands on the brake hoods, or near the stem.
    But being able to reach the 'drops' should be possible for at least short periods of time.
    Make sure the amount of weight on your hands and arms is COMFORTABLE, just being tolerable will hurt after a short while. Also make sure that you do not have to strain your neck in order to look down the road in comfort.
    Having a comfortable saddle is important!

Many bike shops don't sell used bikes, but they may know people who have used bikes for sale - or know people who need to sell their current bike in order to buy a new one.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Personally, I would look to buy from a good bike shop. On the website, Evans Cycles have some decent looking road bikes around £500. At least, this will give you an idea of bikes you may want from either them or your local shop. If you get it from the shop, they will help with frame size and fit.

In terms of things to look for, I'd personally be looking at: i) gearing (get compact or, if you live near plenty of steep hills, a triple) and think about the range you need, ii) weight of bike (I think there can be quite a bit of difference at this range) and iii) quality of the shifters.

Good luck!
  • BLW
    BLW Posts: 96
    Hi

Thank you for your helpful replies and friendly advice.

I'm now a proud owner of my first road bike, funny how things happen, went clothes shopping yesterday for an occasion dress and came back with a new push rod! lol which is now taking pride of place in my dining room of all places.

Bought a Boardman Sport FI, I'm sure it will do me but if there's any feed back (good or bad) then feel free to fill me in.

Thanks again.
  • dj58
    Hi, I don't have any personal experience of Boardman bikes, but they do get good reviews on here and seem to be good value for the money. That looks like a good spec., enjoy it and when you have ridden for a while post your impressions up on here, always useful for other potential purchasers.