hydraulic brake help?

rizzee
rizzee Posts: 15
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
hi guys i have a carrera vulcan with hydraulic brakes and im new to these things wish i had vbrakes 2 be honest...anyway my problem is the back brake lever is getting closer and closer to my handle bars and the brake is hardly working at all because there is no pull to it...ive had the bike from new and hardly used it so what is my problem is it a simple adjustment or does it need some fluid any help would be great cheers.also when i bought it the guys from the shop said the brakes wouldnt need any kind of adjusting or servicing for at least a year of use.i also think these brakes suck in the rain with high squeaking noises and again hardly work to slow me down.

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    How far back to the bars are we talking?

With Hydraulic brakes there's generally a bit of give in the lever at the start as this is what gives you modulation and control rather than pulling the lever and the brake just locks the wheel

As the bike is new it will have new pads.. with disc brake pads you have to do about 20 longish stops without locking the wheel (Or just ride round holding the brake on slightly so it gets quite hot) as this will brake the pads in and give them bite

You could also try aligning the caliper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7I6qlSsGds

As the bike is new I'd be surprised if you needed to bleed them, but if you can't fix it your LBS might need to bleed it
  • rizzee
    hi thanks for reply...well my back brake lever is very close to my grip that i can hardly get my fingers between them and when i pull the back break its touching my grip so as you can imagine im getting no real pull to break at all.ive just taken off the top and bottom alankey screws from the skeletal brake lever and i can see a screw going throught the middle that i cannot get to its seems its pushing outwards from the lever...if i could get to this maybe it will push my lever out more.it seems the screw im trying to get to is goin through the middle of the skelatal break as is connected to a soft spongy material.
  • rizzee
    well after further investiagation ive sussed it out and i feel stupid now but the screw that was going through my skeletal brake had a tiny little alan key screw on the end of it which i had no idea of its existence, and so i tightened it up which made my brake lever extend outwards problem solved happy days..mod you can delete this if you must.
  • ej2320
    So you had the reach adjust in too far?

i.e The brake lever started close to the bar/grip before you even pulled it
  • ej2320
    When adjusted correctly it should look like this, so the end of your finger can comfortably pull the lever
    333_detail.jpg

It has reach adjust so people with longer/shorter fingers can use it comfortably
  • rizzee
    hhahah yes this was my problem i didnt know about he little alankey inside the screw on the levers what a dumbass.all good now thanks.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Just to let you know, it's very common problem with the Skeletal brakes. I get Vulcans and Krakens back every week with the exact same issue. The adjuster screw just tends to wind itself out over time. I found the best way to combat it was to spread a little threadlock on the screw shaft which can be seen on the inside of the lever blade next to the hinge.