New wheels & cassette

Punnett
Punnett Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi All,

I am hoping someone can help me with this question. I currently have a Tiagra 10sp set on my bike & am in the process of doing a few upgrades. I have purchased some Shimano 6800 clincher 9/10/11 speed compatible wheels. These came with a spacer for use with my 10sp setup. I also purchased a new ultegra 6700 10 sp 11-28 cassette type CS-6700. I have noticed that this also comes with a small spacer. The question I have is do I need to install both spacers or only the one that came with the wheels?

Would really appreciate any help – Many thanks, John

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Both spacers
    left the forum March 2023
  • Punnett
    Hi Ugo,

Thks for quick response. Here lies in the confusion though. I also posted same question onmy local Forum & the response I got there was only one spacer need to be fitted :-( So still confused – My gut feeling is I only need to fit one but obviously don’t want to risk damaging something especially my expensive new wheels..

Thks again for your help - John
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    That's local vs national for you. Ugo is god, believe in him. :D

More seriously it will be pretty obvious if 1 or 2 spacers is wrong as you will either not be able to tighten the cassette or it will be apparently tight but rattling
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Punnett
    Thks t4tomo for clarification - I will give it a try & let you know if it's one or two. Thks again, John
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If the hub is 11spd compatible you need to use one spacer for it to be 10spd compatible. Tiagra would fit directly. Ultegra needs a spacer to be the correct 10spd width.

Seen the post the the FAQs?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Punnett
    I have one more question - would you bother putting a plastic spoke guard on prior to cassette? Thks
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    It's called a dork disc - go figure.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem