Summer tyre choice

anthdci
anthdci Posts: 543
edited April 2014 in Commuting general
Last summer I ran Conti GP4000S on my commuter, changing to Conti Gator Hardshells with Panaracer Flataway Tyre Liners over the winter. Apart from a little bit extra rolling resistance and a bit less grip with the hardshells the difference seems quite minor and I have had no punctures at all since they went on in September.

I am pretty quick at changing a tube, usually can be back on my way in under 5 minutes but it is still a hassle.

I do a 26 mile round trip commuting so I do want to be as quick as possible, but I am unsure if impeccable puncture record is worth giving up for a few seconds faster?

Which tyres would you use?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Depends ....

on the weather & road conditions.
    If it's wet or been wet then I take chunkier tyres as my route goes along country lanes - lots of stones washed onto the road.
    If it's dry then I take the slicks as it's nice to cruise at a higher speed.
    If it's icy then I take the spiked tyres (not often in summer though)

Today I have the CX tyres as I'm going offroad on the way home - probably.

26 mile round trip is only 13 each way - so what's that - 40-50 mins?
    Difference between 15 and 18mph avg is 9 minutes each way - I doubt the tyre choice between 2 slicks will give you that much difference - that's the difference I get between CX bike in CX mode and road bike ...
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    Takes about 50 minutes due to the number of traffic lights. Route is all on road on my road bike on the same wheels, so the difference is purely one 23mm slick, to another 23mm slick but difference compounds. Difference cant be more than 2 minutes.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    then it's not worth worrying about - ride whatever you've got on there.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    GP4000S all year round. 46 km each way commute (not every day both ways, though). Run them at 110 psi. Two punctures in 5 years.