challenge tyres - suitable rims

gbr236
gbr236 Posts: 393
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I am after a second set of wheels for my cross bike
i have some challenge paris roubaix tyres.
Ive tried a couple of mavic and HED rims and cannot get the tyre on or off easily
Is there a suitable?
Cheers

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Neither mavic nor HED are "tight" fit, so it's either your technique or the tyre. I did have some Challenge forte, similar thing and I don't remember them being tight... actually one exploded out of my wife's rim due to her dragging the brakes
    left the forum March 2023
  • gbr236
    gbr236 Posts: 393
    thanks
    maybe its me
    tried on mavic 29er rim just now and there is no way i can get it over the edge without stripping my thumbs
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    That's not a good indicator... 29 er rims don't normally take road tyres...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    29er rims are 622 ERTO i.e. same as 700c but if the rim is tubeless, then due to profile it will be tighter than a regular road rim. You have to push the tyre bead into the centre of the rim to give you enough slack to get the bead over - as Ugo says, it's down to technique and maybe some robust tyre levers.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    gbr236 wrote:
    thanks
    maybe its me
    tried on mavic 29er rim just now and there is no way i can get it over the edge without stripping my thumbs

Have a watch of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Technique.
    I am used to fitting 4" motocross tyres with 6" levers and technique does it all. rim/tyre combo can be important but the above is not universal. I popped some 25mm Michelin onto tubeless MTB rims without levers. Get the bead right into the rim.
  • Ive recently fitted Challenge Paris Roubaixs on Mavic open pros, and they were tight and a bugger to get on, and I dont normally have problems fitting tyres, so I don think its you, but the rim/tyre combination. The open pros are relatively narrow which is probably the reason.