Which pump to get??

Adam1985
Adam1985 Posts: 32
edited April 2014 in Workshop
New to the scene and looking for a good pump to be able to take out with me on the road and also use in the garage when needed..

Obv needs to be able to pump upto 120psi i believe

Thanks

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    In your shoes I'd get a frame pump like a Topeak Road Master Blaster or Zefal HPX.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • gsej
    gsej Posts: 34
    Adam1985 wrote:
    New to the scene and looking for a good pump to be able to take out with me on the road and also use in the garage when needed..

Thanks

I'd get two - a track pump for at home - and a mini pump for on the road. I've a couple of the joe blow track pumps - they're pretty good. As for mini pumps - I've just given up on my boardman pump as I broke the valve on my last inner tube on a recent (disasterous) sportive, and I've bought a lezyne pressure drive as it has flexible hose which should put less stress on the valve.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    As above, I have two, both Lezyne.

A track pump in the garage and a micro floor drive (with gauge) for taking with me.

Both really well made, presta and schrader valves and screw fitting (which I find works much the best).

For roadside use, with the micro floor it's almost ridiculously easy to inflate to road tyre pressures compared to the host of other pumps I've had over the years. It's a little big for a jersey pocket, but fits my saddle tool bag and is surprisingly light.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    gsej wrote:
    Adam1985 wrote:

Thanks

I'd get two - a track pump for at home - and a mini pump for on the road. I've a couple of the joe blow track pumps - they're pretty good. As for mini pumps - I've just given up on my boardman pump as I broke the valve on my last inner tube on a recent (disasterous) sportive, and I've bought a lezyne pressure drive as it has flexible hose which should put less stress on the valve.

I was thinking the same. A track pump takes no effort to inflate a tyre to these pressures. My entry level Specialized one was 360cc.

I used to have a road pump which was 48cc which was again every easy to pump the tyre up to 80-90 psi.

I've not bought a mini pump (19cc) which is capable of inflating the tyre both by hand or by co2 cannister. It takes quite a bit of effort to get the tyre to 80psi manually but using the co2 it will be quick and easy.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    I'm glad I got the Joe Blow one, as spares are readily available and when I needed a new rubber, I did just buy it for a few quid...
    Priceless
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Another vote for Joe Blows.

Not only are they easy to get to 120+psi (not that you would) but the connector to your valves is the best there is and simplest to use.

For this, read: least likely to damage your valves.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Yep, get 2 pumps.
    Like most here I have a Joe Blow at home - this gets used regularly and works perfectly, no drama.
    Mounted on the bike I've a tiny Pocket Rocket. I think it's only ever been used once! It's for puncture repair only. It'll do the job but not easily. Usually when I get a puncture I borrow a slightly bigger pump from a riding buddy.
    I've a new bike on the way and will get a new mini-pump to leave on the frame. I'm considering either the Leyzne Mini Drive CFH CO2 pump or more likely the Leyzne Road Drive Mini. Links below.
    Any feedback from people who've used either of these gratefully received! Which Road drive? Medium or Large?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-pressure ... cartridge/
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-road-dri ... -abs-pump/
  • Lezyne Road Drive is the best pump I have ever used.

Most track pumps seem to work ok.
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    Lezyne Road Drive is the best pump I have ever used.
    +1. Worth double what they charge. Any old track pump for the garage is fine I have a cheap edinburgh bicycle own brand one which works just as well as more expensive ones I have