new and need help

froggy8
froggy8 Posts: 12
edited April 2014 in MTB beginners
hi guys, i am new so thought i would introduce myself.

i am Robert and i am only about 5"5 so i am only small so i don't know what size bike i would need and what sort of bike i need. i know it is a mountain bike what i want but there so many i just need help please

many thanks

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    What's your budget? Where will you be looking at riding? What sort of terrain?
  • froggy8
    hi mcnultycop, my budget will only be around 300. i know it is not much but i could stretch it but it could takes few weeks. i want to go wood riding, like forests or something like that and occasional roads, i have had a look at specialized bikes but someone has mentioned that it might be better getting something like Voodoo's or Carrera's because they said they are just as good.

that is the reason i joined this forum to get real advise so i know i wont make the wrong decision

cheers
  • rickbst170
    rickbst170 Posts: 228
    Are you specifically looking for a new bike from a shop, or maybe something a few years old? A well looked after 4 year old bike which was 1000 can be had for 300ish now.

Id say whatever terrain you ride, for 300 youre best off going hardtail.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    You've already had some good advice, to avoid the brands.

I had a look at the Calibre Two.Two at weekend from Go Outdoors. Awesome bike for the cash, but £360 if you could push the budget that far.
  • froggy8
    i could push it to 400, sorry should have mentioned that i wouldn't mind getting a second hand ones.

i really like the look of my friend's 2008 or 2009 haro shift, it had fat frame and fat wheels.
  • rickbst170
    Are you hoping to get into dirt jumping, long distance flat(ish) cross country, downhill or other?
  • froggy8
    hmmm.....im not sure how to answer that, all i will be doing is probably going through woods in the mud and occasionally on road.

hope that helps
  • rickbst170
    I reckon you want a cross country frame, no more than 120mm travel, light, tough, cool looking. Hold that thought...
  • froggy8
    would that be anything like what mcnultycop mentioned? calibre two?

i will have a look at that in a few mins
  • rickbst170
    The two two is a hardtail xc bike. My link contradicts what I suggested (it's full sus) but for the money, it looks good (or nicked). Full sus is usually heavy and when cheap is crap. But the nrs was always a good system, and this is on carbon frame so keeps weight down.

Haven't spoken to the seller, but suspect it'll be xt type stuff on a carbon nrs
  • froggy8
    the last link does look really nice but that is from U.S.

tried to find another one on ebay and there was only one and it was over 600!
  • rickbst170
    Lol, it's in bracknel, UK. that website displays all currencies with the dollar sign, but defines the currency afterwards (GBP = great British pounds, EUR = euro etc).
  • froggy8
    thank you for confirming this. i will have another look again