Road bike for female 5'1" not too girly!

Xommul
Xommul Posts: 251
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi Folks

My wife is looking for a Road bike, in the £1000 region and she is having difficulties finding something that doesn't look like a child designed the colour scheme. She hates floral decals and silly girly colours.

In essence she wants a more masculine colour scheme, a light frame, hopefully 105's and its got to fit her 5'1" height.

We already bought an Aventi Cadence 2.0 xs which was too big, came with huge handlebars that were too wide, a 170mm crank and a seat post which wouldn't go down far enough, had to send it back.

Anyone out there got any ideas we can look at?

Thanks in advance
MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    How about this in small (or x small). http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-saetta-105-2013/

The frames have quite a sloping TT in smaller sizes I think. I have a large and the bike is excellent.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Beat me to it with the Canyon, there's also Rose's women specific, similar spec' to the Canyon http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-wsl-200-2014/aid:666639?forcedefaulttemplate=true&bikevariantchanged=1 , it will be easier to tweak the spec' plus, being women specific, it might fit her a bit better.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    My wife went for a black Condor Italia, the one with a shorter top tube. She is 5-5 and they fitted her with a 48 , I think. She was repulsed by Specialized and Bianchi ladies bikes in the LBS.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I am biased, but a Roubaix 2013 model would fit the bill perfectly.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    My Mrs (same height) has a 44cm Bianchi C2C, lovely little bike and not at all girly.

Purchased from Epic, who I'd highly recommend.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    My wife went for a black Condor Italia, the one with a shorter top tube. She is 5-5 and they fitted her with a 48 , I think. She was repulsed by Specialized and Bianchi ladies bikes in the LBS.

Condor do most of their bikes in a 46 as the smallest, I think even my wife would fit on one! They also do the italia in a step through for the ladies in a skirt. A touch more seriously, they do a great fitting service and there was a woman there getting an italia at the same time I got mine. She went all black with hers, as I did with mine!

My wife has a spesh dolce and it is not very girly. They also do small sizes (my wife is only just 5'1" and has quite long legs for her size so needed a small bike to be able to reach the handlebars with her short torso!) and if you get them from a decent shop I am sure they will let you change handlebars, stem etc to get a good fit.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Giant do some "non-girly" bikes women's bikes too - I think the Avail? A mate at work got one and she liked it and didn't look too girly at all. Haggle on price - there are often good deals out there...
  • small_bloke
    small_bloke Posts: 222
    No need to spend £1000 in my opinion

Buy this Trek 1.2 2013 for £520.

Change the handlebars for FSA Omega 380mm wide £30. They have a shorter 80mm reach if she's still too stretched out. It comes with Bontrager 400mm wide handlebars which I found too wide, the reach was about 90mm on the bars. You could always use a 75mm reach handlebar such as other Bontrager compact bars to reduce the stretch even more.

I am 5'-3" and had to fit a longer 100mm stem and slide the saddle back a little.I think it came with a 70mm stem. You could always change the seatpost to in-line instead of set-back to reduce the stretch as well.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/trek-1.2-20 ... isting=tru

I found the 9 speed Sora prefectly adequate for the price point compared to my other bikes which have Tiagra, 105 and Sram Rival. For small hands SRAM is the best but that's a totally different price point.

The only rubbish thing on the bike was brakes. Maybe its the poor pads or calipers.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    menthel wrote:

Condor do most of their bikes in a 46 as the smallest, I think even my wife would fit on one! They also do the italia in a step through for the ladies in a skirt. A touch more seriously, they do a great fitting service and there was a woman there getting an italia at the same time I got mine. She went all black with hers, as I did with mine!

My wife has a spesh dolce and it is not very girly. They also do small sizes (my wife is only just 5'1" and has quite long legs for her size so needed a small bike to be able to reach the handlebars with her short torso!) and if you get them from a decent shop I am sure they will let you change handlebars, stem etc to get a good fit.

Spesh have spoiled some of their latest offerings - well, the ones my wife was looking at - by including pink accessories or flowery designs ...
    Put off by that she saw the new bikes by Orro and bought an Oxygen - but the XSmall isn't really Xsmall - it's an equivalent of a 52 ... but nice bikes!