Creaking cassette?

kingofthetailwind
kingofthetailwind Posts: 575
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I've had a creaking noise from my Felt Z95 for a while now. 9 speed sora, Giant 11 speed hub, 1.85mm spacer (marked 10 speed) and a SRAM 9 speed cassette fitted.

I thought maybe I had the wrong width of spacer on the cassette so two weeks ago I took the cassette off, checked it and refitted it. The spacer on the cassete was marked 10 speed. I had another spacer which seemed to be the same width so tried that instead. After changing the spacer the creaking went away completely - for a week. It's back now. The noise is there in all chainring/cog combinations. Goes away occasionally but comes back after a few minutes. Chain and cassette are fairly new. No signs of wear.

Any ideas?

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Tried doing your QR up tighter?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • is the chain a bit dry? Maybe put some more lube on, (after cleaning the chain beforehand), leave overnight, wipe off any excess. Also try and put a small dab of grease on the knurled parts of each end of the quick release levers, no need to over tighten them mind you.
    Good luck.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    The trouble with creaks is they rarely come from where you think.

If you're sure it's the cassette, from what you say I'd suggest making sure you've got it tight enough.

If that doesn't work, good luck. Could be BB, pedals, cleats, saddle, QR …………..

I find the trick is to work out exactly when it creaks, e.g. pedalling or not, seated or not, each pedal turn, each wheel turn, etc, etc.
  • gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    Zcheck the freehub bodh hasnt been damaged by the casette
  • I've had the wheel off and on a few times so don't think it's the QRs. I'll grease them and see if that makes a difference though. The chain has been degreased and lubed a couple of times and the noise is still there.

Damage to the freehub body is possible, will check. Fairly sure it's the cassette as the noise went away last time I removed and refitted it. I'll try a different wheel and cassette for a day or two.

It's definitely a single 1.8mm spacer I should be using? And not a 1.8mm and a 1mm?
  • johnnymcg259
    johnnymcg259 Posts: 569
    Did you id the problem eventually?