Replacement cassette

redstar1
redstar1 Posts: 15
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Can't find the exact info/help I need so hoping some kind soul can answer for me.

I have a 2013 Rockrider 8.1 which I left into Decathlon for a service recently (shouldn't have bothered but that's another story). Short of it is the chain was identified as worn and was replaced. I've only this morning had a chance to get on the bike and the chain is slipping constantly. A curosory glance at the (now gleaming) cassette shows considerable wear there too.

I'm keen to expand my knowledge and experience of repairing my bike so I'm happy to have a go at fixing this myself. I can get a replacement cassette from Halfords:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165540

Which seems to be the correct replacement. The freewheel hub is also making a bit of noise so I'd like to replace that too. Are these fairly standard? Can't seem to find anything definative.

Also need to pick up the tools for the jobs, are there any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cassette will work fine, but you can get one for half the price online.
    Freehub is specific to the hub and not standard at all.
    I'd be surprised if it has gone so soon - more likely the wheel bearings are a bit gritty.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • redstar1
    Thanks. I asked them to look at the rear wheel but they said that it was a sealed unit so they couldn't clean it. Sound about right?
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    redstar1 wrote:
    I can get a replacement cassette from Halfords:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165540
    Which seems to be the correct replacement
    you don't have to replace like for like, though - any 9 speed shimano or sram cassette will work just as well.
    redstar1 wrote:
    The freewheel hub is also making a bit of noise so I'd like to replace that too. Are these fairly standard? Can't seem to find anything definative.

No, the freehub tends to be specific to the hub itself (or a range of hubs made by the same manufacturer). You'll need to identify the hub and find the specific replacement. If it does indeed need replacing, that is - might just need cleaning and regreasing.
    Also need to pick up the tools for the jobs, are there any recommendations?

You'll need a cassette lockring tool to undo/do up the lockring holding the cassette in place (plus a chainwhip or some other way of holding the cassette still whilst undoing it).
    If you do end up changing the freehub body as well, then that will require other tools - normally just a large allen key, but again, it all depends on the make and model.
  • redstar1
    Thanks. Work on the freehub might be a bit of a stretch for me I reckon but think I'm happy enough replacing the cassette myself. Can get the parts half price at the local Chain Reaction Cycles store so might just do that.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    What sort of noise is the freehub making? If it's only when you're freewheeling then it's likely entirely normal.