What EPO can do

2»

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    DL1987 wrote:
    What was the reaction of the fans and media at the time?

Rouleur just posted something on this subject
    http://rouleur.cc/journal/history/juiced
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Even the pensioners are getting in on it

http://road.cc/content/news/105361-62-y ... ted-doping
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    skylla wrote:
    something like....

berzin_copertina_500.jpg

For those that don't know who this is: 1994 Giro winner Eugeni Berzin

yes and third in Fleche that year - what the OP referred to...

I'm guessing he was slimmer back then, even EPO wouldn't get him up the Mur in that condition!
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Same barber though.

608px-Evgueni_BERZIN.jpg
  • Richmond Racer
    davidof wrote:
    Even the pensioners are getting in on it

http://road.cc/content/news/105361-62-y ... ted-doping

He'd been long suspected by others on the US scene, apparently

Seems to be a bit of a doping issue in US Masters racing in some regions
  • Richmond Racer
    Same barber though.

608px-Evgueni_BERZIN.jpg

Oh good grief...there's a sobering 'before' and 'now' pair of photos
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    How old is he now?

It says it helps the fight against anti ageing?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Richmond Racer
    Markwb79 wrote:
    How old is he now?

It says it helps the fight against anti ageing?

Well, it certainly doesnt help the fight against gravity, looking at the recent pic
  • 255259A9842051E6A9E62651E6A9D1.jpg
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Interesting Ross Tucker tweetage

BmAL9ZFCYAAoeqd.png:large
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Very interesting. Do they have biological passport in athletics?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    If I recall Correctly they ve been "about to implement" it for a few years now...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Very interesting. Do they have biological passport in athletics?

Yes, it was introduces in 2009, about where it's marked on the graph.

Quite how rigorously it is enforced in some countries I'm not sure.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Don't like graphs which show 'improvement' with a downward line.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Or those which use selective events as markers. Significant as they no doubt were, I'm sure those weren't the only 4 things that happened in the last 25 years.
  • Richmond Racer
    IAAF's list of currently sanctioned athletes under IAAF rules

http://www.iaaf.org/about-iaaf/document ... d-athletes

click on download for 'List of athletes currently serving a period of ineligibility as a result of an Anti-Doping Rule Violation under IAAF Rules '

Like with climbing times in cycling, there's no point in trying to draw definitve conclusions from that chart from Tucker - as he himself was cautioning on Twitter last night
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    Turfle wrote:
    Or those which use selective events as markers. Significant as they no doubt were, I'm sure those weren't the only 4 things that happened in the last 25 years.

To be fair, he did later tweet along similar lines (although I'm still not clear if that was related to the same topic ), and added this graph:

BmENuykCAAA3yxK.jpg:large
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    gpreeves wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

To be fair, he did later tweet along similar lines (although I'm still not clear if that was related to the same topic ), and added this graph:

BmENuykCAAA3yxK.jpg:large
    This is good that he did this - it shows honesty (even though the original wasn't his).

There were two major problems with the original graph - the rarity of the 10k being raced at full pace, and the reliance on just the fastest rather than a broader sample. The broader samples show more of a random downward trend that you would expect.

Basically this shows what I have been constantly banging on about - if you use narrow and selective statistics you can prove just about everything. That's why no-one is going to release data to people who have spent years living by the 'everyone's doping' dogma.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    RichN95 wrote:
    Basically this shows what I have been constantly banging on about - if you use narrow and selective statistics you can prove just about everything. That's why no-one is going to release data to people who have spent years living by the 'everyone's doping' dogma.

Exactly. Tucker himself warns of "performance pixellation", if you take an individual performance and draw inferences from that you can pretty much prove anything you want.

If data were ever to be released, it needs to be released to the right people. In my experience, any time you think you've found a statistical relationship between X and Y, there are countless reasons that you actually haven't. Applied stats isn't an exact science, it requires years of training/experience (and a decent amount of impartiality) to spot potential sources of bias or methodological errors.
  • RichN95.
    "Morality is not a fixed thing. It changes its parameters culturally and historically over time".

In a nutshell why sensible people don't judge the likes of Simpson and Anquetil in the same light as Armstrong and Valverde* as the crazy people expect us to.

*(I initially typed Armstrong and Millar as a little gag)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    I say that one sentence about 10 times a day, with varying degrees of cynicism or sarcasm.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I judge all of them the same. Anquetil through Merckx through Pantani through Armstrong to Contador.

They are all on the same thing at a point in time. Some got caught, some didn't. Why hammer Valverde or Berzin or Di Luca or Mick Rogers and not the rest?
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    I judge all of them the same. Antequil through Merckx through Pantani through Armstrong to Contador.
    Why do you? The drugs are different, the punishments are different, the attitudes are different. It wasn't even banned in Anquetil's day. I remember in the late 80s Theunisse tested positive for testosterone at the Tour and his punishment was a ten minute penalty - he wasn't even DQed.

In my lifetime attitudes to many things have changed. Many of the TV programs of my youth would never make it on to TV these days, for reasons of sexism, homophobia and racism but I don't judge the makers of them by today's standards - they were not bad people, the world was just different. (For example, Guy Gibson, the leader of Dambusters, is rightly seen as a great man - a hero and a gentleman. But some wish to unfairly judge him by today's standards because of his dog)

You judge them all the same because you've only been around for a couple of years. You have no appreciation of how sport has evolved.