Portsmouth to Nantwich route help

thomasmorris
thomasmorris Posts: 373
edited May 2014 in Tour & expedition
I'm thinking of cycling to my parents in Nantwich, Cheshire, from Hayling Island, Portsmouth.

I'd do it in a day.

I've just used the Garmin route finder http://connect.garmin.com/course/6339716#, with the only alternation to miss out central Wolverhampton. I'd like to stay off dual carriage ways but am reasonably happy with A -roads.

I've got a garmin 500 I can follow, but really I'd like a relatively simple route and just write down towns and road numbers and stick to my top tube.

Comments

• SPOC
    SPOC Posts: 109
    Hi Tom, think I recognise the name from the top of the Strava lists locally! I'm in Gosport and have semi agreed to ride to Stafford with a friend in a day over the summer!

The main problem seems to be the midlands area for us to, somewhere i'm not very familiar with at all and we haven't quite worked out a good route.

I have a friend who a few years ago rode to Newcastle in 2 days and their stop off was in Derby, he seemed to think that route was pretty much mega hectic traffic free.

If you do it before the summer comes around, would love to hear about the route as Nantwich pretty much be the same route you'd take for the slightly shorter Stafford.
  • thomasmorris
    I think I'll have a crack at it tomorrow. Looks like a slight headwind, which is unfortunate, but oh well.

I'll upload the ride to strava so you can see my route.
  • HI Tom rode with you to Cheltenham hope you made it ok.
  • thomasmorris
    HI Tom rode with you to Cheltenham hope you made it ok.

Many thanks for the very generous tow, it really took the sting out of those middle miles and was good to have some company.

I made it all the way, no sores, aches or pains, so pretty happy. 331.8 km, 28.8km/h, 12:03 elapsed time. Looks like I spent 30 mins stopped, but i reckon a lot of that was damn traffic lights!

I was quite knackered by the end and slowing a little but luckily the head wind (20knots in the face as I was heading off hayling!) faded too over wise I might have ground to a stop.

Here's the ride: http://www.strava.com/activities/136611653