9 speed chain; 8 speed components

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited April 2014 in The workshop
Having got an excess of 9 speed components; chains and cassettes I was thinking of converting the hybrid to a 9 speed but utilising the existing components until they require replacing.

Existing components that it would need to work with are;-

- Deore front mech; dont see this being a problem
- Alivio 8 speed crankset
- Alivio 8 speed rear mech long cage

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,317
    I think the inside of the chain is the same width, but the outside a touch narrower. So the front should work although it may be that it only just has enough throw to shift so it might be fussier about set up.
    The rear might work, but I suspect it will be similarly marginal on the amount of movement so it could kind of work but be really annoying because it's never quite right.
    This is all purely speculation though.
  • Hi,
    I have 2 bikes both 8 speed running 9 speed speed chains no problems.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    What shifter? Won't the problem be that if it's 8 sp shifter, it won't have the 9th click? If that's not a problem, Someone more knowledgable than me will be able to tell you if you can finesse the indexing to squeeze the extra shift out of an 8 speed mech.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rear mech will be fine, chainset will be fine, front mech can be fussy on setup and on my sons mountain we eneded up putting on a 9 speed mech as the 8 needed adjusting so often. You'll obviously need a 9 speed shifter to get the right rear mech movement with a 9 speed cassette!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    The Rookie wrote:
    You'll obviously need a 9 speed shifter to get the right rear mech movement with a 9 speed cassette!

Yes, I thought that this was a given; initially I might leave the 8 speed triple shifter on though, as this will have the correct throw for the 8 speed chainset.

I was hoping to find the same shifters that I've got on the CX but it seems as though shimano have discontinued them, which is a shame, as they're great and CRC were knocking them out for under a tenner.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The front shifter doesn't change 8-9 speed so you can mix and match to your hearts content, the only think that changes at the front is the width of the cage, 9 is slightly narrower due to the reduced chain width.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    The Rookie wrote:
    The front shifter doesn't change 8-9 speed so you can mix and match to your hearts content, the only think that changes at the front is the width of the cage, 9 is slightly narrower due to the reduced chain width.

OK, got it.....think I've got a 9 speed Deore front mech kicking about in my stores; need to check if it's a double or triple though.