Mavic Open Pro 28H rims as 2x lacing?

dbrooksbank
dbrooksbank Posts: 20
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi. I'm having a try at building some new road wheels, and have a cheap pair of Novatec 28H hubs to practice with. It seems to be really difficult to decide on a suitable pair of rims, due to the number available and what can be easily got hold of in the UK.

I've had a read through quite a lot of topics on this forum and am more confused on what to go for. My weight is 75 kgs and the wheels will used mainly for training, plus I don't stomp hard on the pedals to flex the bike all over the place.

I was thinking along the lines of using Open Pro 28H rim with a 2x lacing all round? I'm also want double butted spokes as I won't get any benefit from aero ones - probably sapim lasers and/or race or an equivalent?

Is this a suitable combination, or should I consider a different rim as the hubs are 28H? I don't want to spend a lot of cash as it's my first attempt at wheel building (we have to start somewhere)

Many thanks.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    It's a perfect rim to start. The eyelets will make an easier job of lacing. Use Race spokes on the rear wheel or use race spokes all over
    left the forum March 2023