Carbon or Aluminium?

South Tyne Rider
South Tyne Rider Posts: 76
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Need a buy a bike in the next week or so. Got my eye on one standard aluminium one for £650 or a carbon one for £1150. It's a real stretch finanically-wise for the carbon one but one I think I can stretch to saying as though it's a long-term investment.

My only qualm really, is thinking if it's really worth it? Without naming the specific bikes in question, is a carbon frame really worth it? There's not a massive amount of difference weight-wise. What are the major advantages of carbon over alu?

Cheers

Comments

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Without naming the bikes in question, you can not compare them or or evaluate if the additional cost is worth it.
  • Without naming the bikes in question, you can not compare them or or evaluate if the additional cost is worth it.
    I have but it's come down to whether the carbon is worth it. I've never had a carbon bike before which makes me wonder if it's the right time to shell out on it. Just looking for general feedback on carbon bikes. Are they all they're knocked up to be?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    How long are you planning to keep the bike for? If you're looking to keep the bike for the while, the carbon frame will likely provide a better platform for upgrades as your abilities improve. Have you test ridden the bikes in question?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • deimosjohnny
    deimosjohnny Posts: 135
    edited April 2014
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-2g-poggio-p15-sora/

Completely upgradeable frame with good reviews. I got this model as was on a budget but you may think about going up the range in price or use the saving to add to your shoes, pedals, clothing etc.

To answer your question, which someone with more knowledge than me will be better, there are some very expensive non carbon frames out there. As I am a noob i think it will be a long time before i notice the subtlety afforded by very expensive frames or wheels. Saying that wheel set upgrade in the summer is a plan along with brakes.

I bought this bike as all the reviews say it is an upgradeable piece of kit so rather than in a few years spend on new frame this one should last me.

CF v ALu too many variables to know what you need. What I would say is that on that budget there will be a compromise somewhere frame set, wheels, group set so go for the best upgradeable option hence I went for the poggio.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Without naming the bikes in question, you can not compare them or or evaluate if the additional cost is worth it.
    I have but it's come down to whether the carbon is worth it. I've never had a carbon bike before which makes me wonder if it's the right time to shell out on it. Just looking for general feedback on carbon bikes. Are they all they're knocked up to be?

As mentioned above, the question is just too broad to provide any meaningful answer. Carbon and aluminium frames can both be designed with differing ride qualities, depending on things like geometry, tube wall thickness and material selection. You can't just say 'which is best' in that way.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Most people tend not to upgrade their bikes and only replace things as they wear out. You may get better value from a good spec aluminium bike if it is unlikely you are going to upgrade. Some very nice bikes to choose from at around £1,000. At around £650 you are in the price range where the bikes become better.
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    How long are you planning to keep the bike for? If you're looking to keep the bike for the while, the carbon frame will likely provide a better platform for upgrades as your abilities improve. Have you test ridden the bikes in question?

I think the longest I've kept a bike for is about four years but I've got every intention of keeping this one if I decide to go carbon and the size and feel of it is right. I think the best thing is to test ride, as you say. I never even thought of that. It would actually be foolish to shell out £1200 on a bike without trying it
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    Not really, there was a thread on here a week or so ago, and most people never tested any of there bikes, I know I haven't, why have you not mentioned the bike by the way?
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • KevChallis wrote:
    Not really, there was a thread on here a week or so ago, and most people never tested any of there bikes, I know I haven't, why have you not mentioned the bike by the way?

the alum one is Specialized Secteur, the carbon one was the Roubaix. Pretty much the same bike, which is why I just wanted to simplify it to a straight shootout between carbon and alumiunium frames