New Road bike for longer rides?

j0nathon
j0nathon Posts: 8
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Some background. Six months ago I bought a Giant Escape flat bar hybrid bike. I didn't know if I would enjoy cycling and well I do, clocking 1600 miles in that time, starting from 5 mile rides! My rides now tend to be: 40-60 mile rides on a Saturday and Sunday, 15-25 mile rides weekdays. None of this is commuting, it's all for fun. It's all road with some shared footpath/pavements alongside busy roads. I am still not a small person, 6'2" and 15 stone.

I guess my questions are:

1. Is my flat bar hybrid (with 32mm tyres) the most comfortable option for these long rides which I intend to keep up and make longer? I wouldn't say I am uncomfortable, but I do find I want to do something with my hands. Road vibration is sometimes a minor issue when I find myself having ridden a faster speed.

2. If not, would a more relaxed geometry drop bar bike be more appropriate. I have looked for example at a Giant Defy 2.

3. Budget wise, I could justify up to £800 for the bike. Am I likely to see much difference though between say a £300 Halfords Carerra road bike and the £800 Giant Defy 2, or even between the Giant Defy 2 and say a Defy 3 or 4?

Comments

• Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    For me flat bars are fine for MTBs and just cruising along, for longer day rides drops offer you three different positions, on the hoods for general riding, the drops for downhill or when the pace quickens and the tops for climbing hard.
    Try and demo a road bike for the weekend if possible to see if you like the ride, a cyclocross bike might be a good compromise for you, offering you the drops and off road caperbility as well.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • j0nathon
    j0nathon Posts: 8
    Thanks. I don't think I need the off road capability, most of the cycle paths are good quality, where not I can just use the road or plan a road route instead.

Unfortunately I am not aware of any of the LBS allowing any kind of test ride, about the best is sit on one in the shop.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Why not get yourself on eBay and pick up a Giant defy for £400-500. Plenty going, or if you have more personality :wink: a Bianchi Via Nirone 7.

Cheaper option is a set of bar ends to give you different hand positions, but if you are riding as much as you are then a 'sportive' geometry road bike is the way to go, be that Italian heritage and style or Taiwanese johnny come lately blandness. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem