Anyone using tubeless?

paul1000
paul1000 Posts: 190
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Have got a pair of fulcrum zero two way fit, currently using gp4000s and tubes, anybody using tubeless, seen some ultremo tubeless, seem quite expensive though.

Comments

• Yup

Using Bontrager tubeless. They feel great, but haven`t stopped going down yet. Apparently they take time for the sealant to seal properly etc etc.

I do like they way they feel though. Went from 25`s back down to 23`s at the same time.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Using the Bontrager R3 tyres, in 25mm flavour. Really, really good tyres and no punctures!
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    Hutchinson Fusions for summer, Intensives for winter. After 3 years and 14,000 km I can't imagine going back.

Long discussion here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12965258 from a week or so back.

Schwalbe Ultremo T/L are discontinued and replaced with Schwalbe One Tubeless. Wiggle list them but not in stock, some eBay sellers have them.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    yep, tubeless here. Currently on 25mm Fusion3s
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • I'm thinking of going tubless on a set of rims ive got but the puncture side of it worries me a bit.

How have people found this side of using them? if you get a puncture whats the routine out on the road for fixing it? ive seen videos but would like to hear from real-world situations and peoples experiences of them.

thanks
  • Pryally
    Pryally Posts: 132
    I had a glass cut (6mm long) on my second ride on Hutchinson Intensives and just put a tube in as per 'normal' - got a bit of sealant on my hands but not as messy as the chain/brake dust. Fixed it back home with path to the inside of the tyre and back running tubeless again now.
    I've been using them on one of my mtb's for years and never had an issue
  • I'm running tubulars (on American Classic Carbon 58's) and they are superb. I ride a lot of Essex roads starting from Chelmsford. I use Tufo Hi-Composite Carbon 22mm running between 145-165psi, with tufo standard sealant in them. I carry a small bottle(50ml) of sealant on every ride just in case, although you can ride tubulars flat if you need too!!

Like any tyres you can get punctures, I've had 3 in 2 years but the sealant has been enough to seal the hole almost instantly with very little loss in pressure ( I use about 1/3 bottle of sealant per new tyre). You can also get an extreme sealant which is thicker and seals bigger holes. I also have a tube of wet suit adhesive (neoprene glue) which I use to infill nicks after rides.

As for on-ride punctures that don't seal immediately you can then just add a bit more sealant, rotate the wheel so the puncture is at the bottom and gravity feeds the sealant to the hole, and then add more air. It's less hassle than changing a tube.

I've even bought some Tufo tubular clinchers for my dura-ace c24 wheels to run in the Alps this year. Yes, they are more expensive but I think they are beautiful to ride, very comfy even at much higher pressures.

Tubulars are very tight to fit and the tufo gluing tape is very sticky, which, when changing the tyre is harder work, but ultimately worth it. If you use tubular clinchers like these http://www.tufo.com/c-hi-composite-carbon/ then they should just pop in like normal clinchers.

Hope that helps.
  • maddog 2
    tubeless not tubulars volvo-boy
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Appreciate that Maddog 2 :) , that's why I added the tubular clincher style from tufo as another option..... oh and please don't forget the fat bit, describes me to a t :mrgreen: .
  • stanthomas
    maddog 2 wrote:
    ...Currently on 25mm Fusion3s
    23mm surely?
  • Thanks for the info, much appreciated
  • I'm running tubulars (on American Classic Carbon 58's) and they are superb. I ride a lot of Essex roads starting from Chelmsford. I use Tufo Hi-Composite Carbon 22mm running between 145-165psi, with tufo standard sealant in them. I carry a small bottle(50ml) of sealant on every ride just in case, although you can ride tubulars flat if you need too!!

Like any tyres you can get punctures, I've had 3 in 2 years but the sealant has been enough to seal the hole almost instantly with very little loss in pressure ( I use about 1/3 bottle of sealant per new tyre). You can also get an extreme sealant which is thicker and seals bigger holes. I also have a tube of wet suit adhesive (neoprene glue) which I use to infill nicks after rides.

As for on-ride punctures that don't seal immediately you can then just add a bit more sealant, rotate the wheel so the puncture is at the bottom and gravity feeds the sealant to the hole, and then add more air. It's less hassle than changing a tube.

I've even bought some Tufo tubular clinchers for my dura-ace c24 wheels to run in the Alps this year. Yes, they are more expensive but I think they are beautiful to ride, very comfy even at much higher pressures.

Tubulars are very tight to fit and the tufo gluing tape is very sticky, which, when changing the tyre is harder work, but ultimately worth it. If you use tubular clinchers like these http://www.tufo.com/c-hi-composite-carbon/ then they should just pop in like normal clinchers.

Hope that helps.

We probably ride the same roads Volvo, i do the Epping roads towards Chelmsford :D
  • stanthomas
    I'm thinking of going tubless on a set of rims ive got but the puncture side of it worries me a bit.
    ...if you get a puncture whats the routine out on the road for fixing it?
    Fortunately I can't comment :) . 3 years, 14,000 km and never once had to fix a tubeless tyre at the side of the road. I really think it has to be seen as a major mechanical, like a broken chain. A bit of a sod if it happens but not something you worry about.
  • maddog 2
    stanthomas wrote:
    maddog 2 wrote:
    23mm surely?

No, 25s.
  • stanthomas
    maddog 2 wrote:
    stanthomas wrote:
    maddog 2 wrote:
    23mm surely?
    No, 25s.
    Just looked at Hutchinson's website and they're showing the Fusion t/l in 25mm - my bad.
    Where did you get them? And are they a genuine 25mm or an Intensive-more-like-24 ?
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    stanthomas wrote:
    maddog 2 wrote:
    stanthomas wrote:
    maddog 2 wrote:
    23mm surely?
    No, 25s.
    Just looked at Hutchinson's website and they're showing the Fusion t/l in 25mm - my bad.
    Where did you get them? And are they a genuine 25mm or an Intensive-more-like-24 ?

Hutchinson come up small generally, way narrower than an equivilent Schwable. My T/L Atom 23 is more like a 21, I've not seen a Fusion but I've heard they come up on the narrow side also, a guy I know has had them through the winter and says he's really happy with them.

Re the op, same experience as most who have commented, yet to fix a puncture at the roadside. Took a huge thorn on one ride, noticed it as the stick it was attached to flapped around a couple of times! Rode it home without issue, tyre knacked but same would have been said for a tubed tyre.

They're grippier and more comfortable than the equivilent non tubeless tyres I've run, I run mine at 90psi. Scwables Ultremo are slightly grippier and more comfortable than the Hutchinson but cut up more easily.

Most are relatively easy to fit but you do get the odd one that's tricky.
  • maddog 2
    I can measure them later.
  • fukawitribe
    fukawitribe Posts: 109
    FWIW my 23mm Fusion 3s come up at pretty much exactly 23mm @ ~85psi, but on that's on 23mm rims where i'd expect a bit more (different tyre obviously, but a Vittoria Open Pave 622 x 25 measures 27mm on the same rim).
  • Paul1000 wrote:
    Have got a pair of fulcrum zero two way fit, currently using gp4000s and tubes, anybody using tubeless, seen some ultremo tubeless, seem quite expensive though.

I have just switched wheels to Zero 2 way fit and at the same time I went tubeless. Quite hard to get on, I used wide and thin plastic levers in the end.

I went Fusion 3's + Hutchinson sealant and used co2 to pump them up the first time. First two nights they went down 15-20 psi each the crucial thing I hadn't done was ride them! Ridden all this week 30 miles a day and I check the pressure after the ride home down to losing 5psi in 24 hours and 30 miles which IMO is the same as I was getting tubed.

They ride great hard to explain but the bike feels different in a good way, I am faster this week but I went from Mavic equips to Zero's which is quite a leap.

My main reason was I had 4 punctures in March using endurance tyres and in October had a quite bad off with a blowout in a corner. Tubeless should make it difficult to have a rapid deflation with the sealant and if it did I really cannot see the tyre coming off the rim and they felt firm enough deflated to at least offer some help keeping things under control.

Punctures only time will tell, I have a tubeless repair pack a tube and Co2 and levers if that fails I am currently ensuring I have charged mobile for the the call of shame to be collected :-)
  • maddog 2
    25mm Fusion3s are 26.5mm measured, on Archetype rims.
  • stanthomas
    maddog 2 wrote:
    Thanks for that. Looks interesting.
    Do you know anyone selling them in the UK? The French http://www.cycle-tyres-direct.fr/ are listing them at 50€, which is OK, but the 15€ delivery is a bit of a spoiler. They have the Hutchinson Secteur and Atom Galactik and the Schwalble One tubeless too.

Measured tyre widths for info:
    Hutchinson Fusion t/l 23mm on EA90RT at 6bar => 23.6mm
    Hutchinson Intensive t/l 25mm on Ultegra WH-6700 at 5.5bar => 24.1mm
  • fukawitribe
    stanthomas wrote:
    maddog 2 wrote:
    Thanks for that. Looks interesting.
    Do you know anyone selling them in the UK?

xxcycle.com are usually quite good - last time I looked Fusion 3s were a tad under £ 75 a set delivered (but they didn't have 25s in at the time) and the Schwalbe Ones around a fiver cheaper (and they didn't have the 25s or 28s in then either, but they're all the same price and expected in). Might be worth a look.
  • maddog 2
    Acycles in the UK have the Hutchinsons. Prices look ok but postage is a tad steep.

Fusion 3 £41/42
    http://www.acycles.co.uk/hutchinson-fus ... .html#null

Sector £50
    http://www.acycles.co.uk/hutchinson-sec ... -9205.html

Intensive £33
    http://www.acycles.co.uk/hutchinson-int ... -9229.html
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    Ran tubeless on my MTB with no issues and no punctures.

I personally ride tubulars but on a club ride a mate hit a pothole hard, he came off and was injured. But the tyre stayed on the rim, a bit of sealant leaked out where the tyre must have deformed on impact. It retained approx 66% pressure and was rideable so they appear to be secure on rims (bontrager rims and tyres in this instance).
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    left the forum March 2023
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Interesting read, I will give them a go when my 4000's wear out, a right pain on the zero twf to fit, never a problem on my american classics, always worry about punctures on them. I like the look of the schwalbe one tubeless.
  • maddog 2
    I've just bought a couple of 28mm Sectors for the commuter so we'll see how they get on
  • fukawitribe
    maddog 2 wrote:
    I've just bought a couple of 28mm Sectors for the commuter so we'll see how they get on

I've been tempted by these in the past, and they seem to have had rave reviews over the pond, so once you've got a feel for them, would be really interested to hear what you think of them on British roads.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread on tubeless.

I am looking ta making the shift to tubeless and was researching different tyres. the Hutchinson Intensive 2 get good reviews for reliability and longevity but I saw one review from cyclingweekly which painted a negative picture on grip. Anyone here had issues with grip ?

thanks and apologies again for resurrecting this thread
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    Just tried out my Hunt Race wheels with Schwalbe Pro One tubeless this morning. After a bit of faffing trying to inflate them, they seems to fly on the road ( It may be in my mind of course ). Impressed so far.