Wiggle Ups and Downs MTB

mudsucker
mudsucker Posts: 730
edited April 2014 in MTB general
Hi,

Is anyone on here going to be doing the Wiggle Ups and Down MTB this Saturday?

My friend and I will be there, looking forward too it!

Ben :-)

See here: http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events ... downs-mtb/
Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
2013 Trek 1.2
1982 Holdsworth Elan.

Comments

• Yer buddy I'm going with 6 others should be good just hope my new bike turns up
    before saturday otherwise i can't go.

Did wiggles last time it was on but was heavy rain. Think its probably going to rain again. :-(
  • bazza333
    bazza333 Posts: 86
    Yep, 3 of us entered. Not done the Ups and Downs before but the Southern Rough Ride was good a few weeks ago
  • Sackface
    Sackface Posts: 23
    I took part yesterday with a friend, did the epic 32 mile ride in 3 hours 54 mins, was a great day, 1st wiggle event I've taken part in, was very well organised and loads of free stuff too, just a shame it was so wet and muddy, but still had fun.
    Canyon Nerve Al 7.9
  • thats a good time! It was good damn good i did standard though because some of the others would be crying if we did epic really wish i did epic though even if it was just for the double helpings of flap jacks haha. Those energy sachets had me bouncing off the trails :o

Not sure if the first massively sludgy long slope down off ranmoore was on the epic route? but there was lots of people in bushes nursing hurt arms and legs i nearly went over the bars because everyone was rubber necking like it was the m25. I did it in 3hrs 53mins with all the waiting and fixing bikes :(
  • Sackface
    Sackface Posts: 23
    The 2 feed stations did help, especially the flapjacks and fig rolls!
    We were lucky not to get any punctures or have any break downs, though my brakes and gears felt awful at the end.
    Yeah we did the 1st long downhill section, which was awesome, loads of mud, couldn't really see as my glasses were covered in mud, also had to avoid a guy walking his cyclocross bike though!
    Canyon Nerve Al 7.9
  • Lol walking. I did see two people on cyclocross bikes crazy! not for me, can't be fun on some of those fast rocky sections. Saw a couple of fat bikes to, they are wide things!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I was there - surprised by how may people struggled with the mud, I have to say it was a bit of a confidence boost :P

Had the classic new 29er but all my mud tyres are 26in (very much first world) problem so I was doing it on summer tyres which made it extra fun!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bazza333
    bazza333 Posts: 86
    Same situation with me on my 29er so I did I it on Maxxis Aspens, they did pretty well considering and I only came off once when the back overtook the front! One of my mates fell while walking so it was pretty slippy.
    Rear pads had gone by the end - only lasted the Southern Rough Ride and this one.
    I'm guessing the run down from Ranmore had the road crossing at the end? If so then yes I also saw a few issues there too.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    I saw the guy on the cyclocross bike. Crazy!

Really enjoyed it and the mud made it fun too! The chalky climb and decent were interesting :-)
    Favourite bit for me was the decent down what I'm calling "a stream". Got soaked but that's part of the fun!

Finished in 4hrs exactly so pretty pleased with that considering the conditions :-)
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.