What race frame for my long legs and short body....

mpatts
mpatts Posts: 1,010
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Morning.

I've just started racing on my large carbon pro. I've always worried its too big for me, and the faster I ride it the bigger it seems, and I don't trust the handling (it's a frame that's renowned for a bit of flex). I had a turn on my mates 52" colnago, and was astounded at how much more powerful I felt and how secure it handled. I'm just too stretched out on the px.

Anyway, I'm 5'9" with a 31cm inside leg. I'd like to get a new frame and ditch the px. Anybody got any good ideas for compact frames, for not a million pounds?

Cheers

Michael
Insert bike here:

Comments

• It's not so cheap, but a Cervelo R3 has a tall head tube for a race bike- which is likely to work well for your dimensions.

I think a Canyon Ultimate CF has not dissimilar geometry, and is pretty good value.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Maybe try a shorter stem, adjust the placements of the hoods, raise the bars.

Is riding with your hands near the stem too low, or stretched out?

How much seatpost is exposed on your current bike?

Try to know the dimensions of a bike that fits as you'd like it to, and then compare the geometry specs of other bikes.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    31" inside leg at 5'9" isn't really disproportioned. FWIW I'm 5'10" with a 34" inside leg (that is disproportionate).

Trek Madone in H2 fit will be a very good option if you want a race bike with a relatively long head tube, compared to top tube.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    thanks for the input.

The reason I am reluctant to start changing stuff around is that I'm throwing good money after bad, but I suppose it's worth a shot.

I might pop into the LBS and see if they can offer some advice.
    Insert bike here:
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    ollie51 wrote:
    31" inside leg at 5'9" isn't really disproportioned. FWIW I'm 5'10" with a 34" inside leg (that is disproportionate).

Trek Madone in H2 fit will be a very good option if you want a race bike with a relatively long head tube, compared to top tube.
    Im nearly the same height and leg. What bike and size do you ride just out of interest?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    I ride what I'm given ;)

Next time I buy a bike It'll probably be a Trek in the H2 fit in a 54cm. So, 54ishcm TT, and 15cm headtube. With either a 90/100mm, -6/7 degree stem and 10 or 15mm of spacers, depending on the amount of saddle fore/aft. Though my flexibility numbers are good, if you're proportioned like me, you'll need truly exceptional flexibility numbers to ride typical race bike geometry.