My first bike? What should I get?

tk72
tk72 Posts: 18
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Just joined the forum with the intention of getting my first bike. Now the problem of which bike to get is the real pain. I don't want to spend thousands as want to find out if I like it first. I have seen a couple on eBay which are around the £145 price range. Now don't all shout at me for that price range as I know you get what you pay for. But really want to test the water first before buying. They are a Viking spectre and a Viking jet stream. Or would appreciate any advise please. Thanks in advance.
Terry.

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Viking are really very poor. Try to raise your budget to £200 and see if you can find an older Spesh Allez, Trek 1.2 or Giant Defy.

Buying a Viking is unlikely to lead to an enjoyable experience.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I can understand the temptation to limit your spending until you are sure that road cycling is for you. However, as others have said, buying a cheap bike is more likely to put you off as it is likely to be heavy and have poor levels of equipment. If you can stretch your budget slightly then you will get something lighter and with more reputable components which will enhance your cycling experience. If you find it is still not for you then you at least have the option of selling it again and will be more likely to attract a decent price if it as a better bike. Although Halfords tend to get "mixed" reviews their Carrera range of bikes are actually pretty good (avoid their Apollo range, although I don't think they do road bikes anyway). Alternatively look at second hand, Specialized, Trek, Giant all have good entry level bikes that often find their way into the second hand market as people upgrade.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • tk72
    Thanks for advice. A fried of a friend has a muddy fox glide nearly new and would take £100 for it. But guessing that would be a bad move to?
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Are you able to take advantage of any cycle to work scheme?
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    simonj wrote:

Love Mine.... £265 in sale. Bought as a first bike and not much reason to swap it as yet.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Can obviously get them at even more of a bargain on eBay or the Zelos is currently £250 at Halfords
  • zx6man
    Zelos looks nice for the money but only 7 speed tuorney setup, I would stetch to the 2300 or claris models.
  • tk72
    zx6man wrote:
    Zelos looks nice for the money but only 7 speed tuorney setup, I would stetch to the 2300 or claris models.

I'm lost already lol. No idea what a 7 speed tuorney setup is.
  • tk72
    Are you able to take advantage of any cycle to work scheme?

Did think of that but didn't know if it's worth doing? My work does have the scheme so could be worth a look at doing it.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Halfords are doing the Zelos limited edition for £249.00.
  • zx6man
    tk72 wrote:
    zx6man wrote:

I'm lost already lol. No idea what a 7 speed tuorney setup is.

Basically a budget gear setup. But then again at 250 might be all you need :-)
  • tk72
    I'm bidding on a few carrera Tdf bikes so will see how I get on.
  • As well as the others mentioned, there are a few Btwin Triban's (the 3 has carbon forks I beleive) on ebay too. Check them out. Bought a new flat handled version for my father in law last year and was pleasantly surprised for the price. Seems pretty solid, and he has had no complaints.

Defo try to spend less until you decide it is definitely for you. Lots of the bikes you are looking at are on Ebay because people bought them to get into cycling, never did, they sat in the garage for a few years, and then they Ebay them.

Good luck
  • tk72
    Thanks. Have been looking at them also. Just missed a couple of bikes on eBay by a few pound! So the hunt goes on
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    My advice is spend a bit more (still under 300) and pay a visit to your local Halfords or Decathalon. Sit on a few bikes & ask for advice from employees. At that price it doesn't really matter if you only use it to go the local shop & back but will give you an idea if you like the sport. Get a pair of padded lyrca shorts too to wear under your trousers or regular shorts - it will be more comfortable.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    All I can add to the above is DONT BUY A VIKING !!!!

As others have said pay a little more and get something that is worth riding both now and in the future. Buying new would be the advice i would give as being new to cycling you could prob benefit from sitting on a few bikes and feeling what is comfortable.

The other issue with buying used - there may be mechanical issues that need sorting and/or tuning. If you dont know what you are doing then you are likely to need to pay the LBS £40ish for a service
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Hi tk72
    You don't mention what size you're looking for.i have my triban 3 red for sale size 57 frame
    Looking for £200
    Cheers Pete
    P.s I am based in Doncaster
  • tk72
    Thanks toolsliger, I'm 5ft 8ish so thinking around a 53/54. 57 may be a bit on the large size. But thanks for asking.