Choosing a bike

top_bhoy
top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking for advice on how to get around this conundrum?

Looking around, I can get a reasonable but not great spec'd track bike at the bike shop which may require further changes (ie saddle/bar/stem - hence raising the cost), is neither inspirational or looks particularly good (in my opinion) but the shop will provide fitting advice to deliver it in a correct size. On the other side, buying an online track bike (which the shop cannot stock) from a sizing chart and a geometry chart will deliver an inspirational and well spec'd bike at a similar cost but may turn out to be an ill fitting size (it could also turn out to be the right size).

I value how the bike fits but within my budget constraints, how it looks and spec'd is also important otherwise it will always seem to be second best. I don't expect it for nothing hence if I have to pay for 1 hour of someones time to confirm my correct fit/frame then that's fine.

Comments

• cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    The alternative speak to an independent fitter who is good / recommended / track experience. Theyll likely charge you for the advice (much less than a full fit) but likely to give you a much better idea of correct size and give you plenty more options if you want to go the online route....you'll likely save that money back buying online.

Totally agree it's nice to support the LBS but Id be doing the same if struggling to get what you want within the budget or ask the shop to price match once you know what you want (rather than getting their advice for free then expecting a price match which personally I think is cheeky as sh*t)