How often should I re-grease the bearings in my Shimano Hubs

IrishMac
IrishMac Posts: 328
edited April 2014 in Workshop
As per title, I've a pair of Shimano RS30 wheels, they've about 1500Km on them at this point, Thanks.
Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
Trek 1.2

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Spin the wheels, if they're dragging or you can hear some grating, then it's time for a clean and regrease. You can't really say it must be done after 'x' km. It mainly depends on whether you ride them in the wet. It's the water that forces the grease out. My latest set of 'every day' wheels have done maybe 5-6000 km and they're runnning smoothly so I see no reason to strip them down for the sake of it. The previous set got stripped down at about the same amount of usage as the front was dragging a little when I spun it.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Lift the rubber seal at the end of the axle and see that there's still grease and it hasn't gone milky or dirty. Spin the wheel in your hands and feel for vibration/roughness in the spindle as it turns.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    Rear are much more picky than front which will go for ages, rear drive side especially grease tends to migrate away along the axle and the seal at the freehub doesn't seem as robust. After a nasty hub failure winter commuter rears get done every 1000mls here in sunny Glasgow in answer to your question but it may be less rainy and salty on the roads where you are :D
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Right cheers guys, means a lot :)
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2