Specialized Venge Comp 2013 or BMC BMC Granfondo GF01 2013

jameshopkins92
jameshopkins92 Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I am looking at buy a new road bike and have got two in mind.....

BMC Granfondo GF01 Ultegra Compact 2013 - http://www.slanecycles.com/bmc-granfondo-gf01-ultegra-lime-compact-bike-2013-p-24518.html?language=en&currency=GBP&delivery=222&fo_c=303&fo_k=22371087d57acfea584475579040724b&fo_s=gplauk&gclid=CIDbm7O-770CFanjwgod4UsAGw

Specialized Venge Comp 2013 - http://www.cyclesuk.com/50184/products/specialized-venge-comp-2013-road-bike.aspx?origin=pla?kwd=&gclid=CNyPgby_770CFQ7MtAod-lAAAw

Can people please share their experiences/opinions on each to give me an idea on which one to go for.

Cheers

Comments

• What sort of riding do you do?

They are very different bikes!
    Allez 16 - bad weather / turbo trainer
    Tarmac Expert SL3 - test colours
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • Planning on doing more sportive riding and getting into triathlons as well.
  • In that case, both! ;)
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • I'll try and be more helpful.

The BMC is comfy so ideal for sportive type riding. The Venge is a fast and race type bike and could be good for your triathlon rides.

I am a big Spesh fan so something like this falls between their comfy (Roubaix) bike and the speedy (Venge) bike, the Tarmac and I use mine as a comfy bike but it is still pretty racy. I guess it depends on what is most important to you.

As an example:

http://www.certini.co.uk/2014-Specializ ... 11573.html
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    I think that the avenge is likely to be unsuitable for the majority of long sportives, especially in the UK where the roads are bad, as it's a very stiff and aero frame, not meant for compliance. That's just from my own research indicating that aero bikes are meant for speed and so often sacrifice a level of cushion. Great for triathlons then. Ideally you need both bikes.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    I've got an S Works Venge and run 25mm tyres on my cosmic and find the ride similar to my Tarmac - not uncomfortable at all (did an 80 mile ride on it last week).

Bike feels v lively/quick from 15 mph onwards as it just seems to hold its speed
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    As others have said I think you need something in between the two.
    The Canyon movistar replica at £2400 with chorus and eurus is stunning for the money, as are the 2 models either side of it and all are less than the BMC and Spesh.
    With a budget of over £2500 I'd be looking to pick a frame and components and get the lbs to build it up.
    Or that powder blue supersix with Ultegra 11 speed.
    Or Scott foil di2 offer from Westbrook.
    Basically there's better than the BMC and the Spesh out there.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    I would of assumed that the Venge would be wildly different from the Gran Fondo, baring in mind their fields of use. But hey, I haven't ridden one so only an opinion

I think that canyon will blow most other bikes out the park for value. Shame about the Movistar paint, would prefer Katusha
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    For all round riding and sportives the GF will be better. for when you need to go fast and don't mind being battered the venge will be better.

neither are allrounders. both are ugly. to do everything you probably need a tarmac or teammachine ( or equvalent)...
  • see.green
    see.green Posts: 43
    I just picked up a GF01 frame earlier this week and plan to build over the next week, will report back findings when I get chance to give it a couple of go's. Test ride was largely positive given intended use, previous bike was a Cervelo S5 VWD so really a big change for me, largely driven by a big change in the amount of hours I can spend on the bike (much less to justify pure speed machine) and the roads I'm likely to be riding in future (poor in cotswolds and yorkshire).

Frame looks great though on first inspection. Update next week.