Improving handling on 29er

Roboleeds
Roboleeds Posts: 43
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I own a Giant Trance X 29er 1,and as much as Iove the way it covers the bumpy terrain of my local trails,I struggle to keep control of the front end when climbing,especially on tight switch backs.Is there any way to improve this i.e. shorter stem,different bars,or would I be better served switching to a 26 or 27.5 wheel?

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Roboleeds wrote:
    I own a Giant Trance X 29er 1,and as much as Iove the way it covers the bumpy terrain of my local trails,I struggle to keep control of the front end when climbing,especially on tight switch backs.Is there any way to improve this i.e. shorter stem,different bars,or would I be better served switching to a 26 or 27.5 wheel?

How long have you had it? They are long bikes and are different mind you I went from a older hardtail to a trance x29er 2.

Is it possible you'll just get used to it? I've not found it unwieldy in similar terrain.

Changing wheel size would be a expensive cure, and upset stand over height amongst other things
  • Roboleeds
    Roboleeds Posts: 43
    About 12 months used to own a 26" Specialized and found it more fun on the trails
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    I don't think changing the wheel size is the way to go... If the front end is wandering you need to move your weight forward - so maybe try a seat post with no setback if that's what your using, a stem with less rise and maybe a bit longer, handlebars with less back sweep... You're going to have to experiment. Another thing you could do is change the fork, get something with adjustable travel that you can drop on climbs, eg a dt Swiss xmm twinshot.