Red Routes

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited April 2014 in MTB general
Hi All

All new to me this mountain biking, will a red route be ok for my 9 year old ( 24" wheel hard tail ), he's only been on his mtb for around 3-4 months we usually just ride natural stuff, mind I haven't a clue for my self on man made tracks, I have ridden a bit of motorbike enduro so I think I should be ok, may be not fit enough but getting there.

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    The answer is probably, it depends.

Red at Llandegla, probably OK (if the distance is doable), other reds are harder. Where were you thinking of? Try a blue first then move up.
  • iwilldoit
    Hi.

Thanks for the reply were going to Nant Y Arian tomorrow, got to be honest he's braver than me some times, mind I can see the danger and he can't and of course the wife will also kill me ;)

They seem to have only red or black routes there.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I would suggest trying Brechfa - the green/blue graded "Derwen" trail is lots of fun, but not very technical, and would be a good introduction to trail centre riding if it's new to you or your son. The blue loop is short and can be "sessioned" a few times. If you find it too easy, then there's the red "Gorlech" trail just up the road, too.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    You'll have a great time at Nant y Arian, nothing there is really challenging :)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Some Blue and Green routes are loads more fun than the Reds and Blacks.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • iwilldoit
    lawman wrote:
    You'll have a great time at Nant y Arian, nothing there is really challenging :)

Thanks for the advise, should make it a bit more interesting it's p*****g down out there tonight :(
  • lawman
    iwilldoit wrote:
    lawman wrote:

Thanks for the advise, should make it a bit more interesting it's p*****g down out there tonight :(

Aye, I'm at uni in Aber not been as nice today as it has been recently! Nant's pretty grippy even after a shower, though the last section, High as a Kite, has recently been re-surfaced and is a little slippy atm if you start to push it, but I imagine you'll be fine.
  • iwilldoit
    lawman wrote:
    iwilldoit wrote:
    lawman wrote:

Aye, I'm at uni in Aber not been as nice today as it has been recently! Nant's pretty grippy even after a shower, though the last section, High as a Kite, has recently been re-surfaced and is a little slippy atm if you start to push it, but I imagine you'll be fine.

Hi Lawman.

Good place to be in uni if your into your mtb ing, the whole of the Nant and Nantymoch area is fantastic.
  • iwilldoit
    He loved it and not to hard for him, the only real thing that did surprise him was a little bit further along this track there is a sharp corner with quite a drop that he wasn't expecting :)

P180414_1456_zps8d8cf930.jpg
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Glad you (both) enjoyed it. Haven't been to Nant myself - will have to make the trek one day.
  • lawman
    Glad you enjoyed it! we've got some great trails in the area for all abilities, one day I'm sure he'll be ready to tackle the ClimachX trail in Machynllyth, mega final descent is the highlight of that one, apparently Joe Smith of CRC DH fame used to uplift it for winter training which gives you some idea of how gnarly and long it is :lol: Absolutely love that trail!

Nant is a great beginner/intermediate trail, Hippity hop is a fun trail for all abilities, hell the KoM down there is held by a mate of mine, 49 seconds :shock: