Shimano shoes

bikeit65
bikeit65 Posts: 998
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking to buy a pair of Shimano R170 road shoes anyone here use them feedback please good or bad.
https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
Planet X RT58
Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011

Comments

• alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Have the cheaper R088 version, which have been great. So I'd assume 170's are even better.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I have a pair, they're great.

They are exceptionally well ventilated, so if you want to use them in the winter, get some warm socks and neoprene overshoes.

The big downside is that they're white... Which reminds me that I need to get around to cleaning mine.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    Alex222 wrote:
    Have the cheaper R088 version, which have been great. So I'd assume 170's are even better.

This
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • richiegwy
    richiegwy Posts: 171
    Do the r170 have carbon soles? I have only read dynalast which I'm not sure what it is.

What about sizing? If I take 43 for regular shoes should I go 44 with these?
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    richiegwy wrote:
    Do the r170 have carbon soles? I have only read dynalast which I'm not sure what it is.

What about sizing? If I take 43 for regular shoes should I go 44 with these?

Can't help with the carbon sole as I don't know, but my R088's, I am a 41 usually and have a 42
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • bikeit65
    Anyone know where I can get these in size 46 in black
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• KevChallis wrote:
    Alex222 wrote:

This

+1
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • bikeit65
    Did you ever buy from Bike24?
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• richiegwy
    richiegwy Posts: 171
    I've bought a good bit from bike24 with no problems at all. Be sure of your size as it will be a little more costly returning them to Germany than it is in the UK
  • bikeit65
    My current shoes are Shimano the R087 in size 46 so im sure the R170 should fit okay
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I use the R170, previously had R106. There is an improvement between the two for sure.

The sole is Carbon Composite. So not full carbon

Dynalast is Shimano's fancy name for the sole being very stiff in one direction, and very slightly flexible in the other, to aid walking and the upward motion of the foot during standing climbing.

I love 'em. The white is very white, but it is also wipe clean so no worries there. They are well ventilated so if the temp is lower than 10 deg then I opt of a toe cover, lower than 7 gets a full overshoe.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    For the R170 (guess any Shimano shoe?) should i be going a size up on my normal footwear which is a size 9/Euro 43?

Also i notice they do a wide fit version, not sure if my foot is wide or not....i take any normal footwear size 9 without problems so dont need anything due to particularly wide feet!

I currently have some DHB R1's in 44 but they are a little on the large side, ok with thicker socks just about but a little small with the summer socks so i guess i'd of been better off in 43 with those (had them 18 months).
    Cheers, Stu
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    duckson wrote:
    For the R170 (guess any Shimano shoe?) should i be going a size up on my normal footwear which is a size 9/Euro 43?

Also i notice they do a wide fit version, not sure if my foot is wide or not....i take any normal footwear size 9 without problems so dont need anything due to particularly wide feet!

I currently have some DHB R1's in 44 but they are a little on the large side, ok with thicker socks just about but a little small with the summer socks so i guess i'd of been better off in 43 with those (had them 18 months).

I wear a 46 in shimano (R170) whereas my shoe size is more like a 10 in most things (46 is supposed to be a 10.5/11 I believe).

If I were you, I'd just order both and send the pair that don't fit back.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Hmm thanks, they only have the normal pair at Ribble so will get them as I can collect and they have 10% off shoes at the moment.
    If they are OK length but slightly too narrow I'll order the wide from Wiggle or something.
    Cheers, Stu