Lazer O2 or LAS Victory

Elfed
Elfed Posts: 459
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm in the process of upgrading my helmet and was planning on buying a Lazer O2 from my LBS, but saw the LAS Victory for the same price online.

The Victory is probably a few steps up from the O2 and comes with quite a few extra bits such as summer and winter liners and couple of cases.

Does anyone have experience of these helmets?

I want to buy from my LBS as they're a great bunch of guys but the chance of getting a higher end helmet for the same price also appeals.

Comments

• Elfed
    The O2 looks like a nice low profile helmet but the LAS Victory seems good for the price.
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Ive the 02 has served me very well, feels good on the head, you would near forfet its on your head.
    If the aeroshell is part of the appeal of the 02, make sure you can get one before you buy it. I bought the helmet thinking I could get it only to find out they didn't make them in the biggest size :/
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I have the LAS and think it's fantastic. Nothing more to say than that really.
  • DCDB
    DCDB Posts: 27
    +1 for the LAS. Fits well, is comfortable to the point that i forget i am wearing it and it isn't the Cycling+ benchmark for no reason.

got mine through Halfords ordering system
  • Elfed
    It's on Halfords that I've seen it, seems a good deal, although I do like to buy from my LBS when possible, except sometimes things can be a bit hard not to.
  • Elfed
    How does the LAS Victory sit on the head, is it quite low profile?

Do you get all the extras with it, both bags and the two types of liners?
  • jonny_trousers
    Elfed wrote:
    How does the LAS Victory sit on the head, is it quite low profile?

Do you get all the extras with it, both bags and the two types of liners?

It certainly doesn't sit high on the head. I do think it's one of the less stupid looking helmets out there.

I got all the extras with mine - all of the above plus a hat box. I have a feeling mine was some kind of 'special' edition, though. I got it from Wiggle. If I remember correctly, the advice is, if you're borderline size wise, go the next one up.
  • Elfed
    I'm maybe leaning towards the LAS if the extras come included.
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    I'm on my (lost count) LAS victory due to crashes (none of my own fault I hasten to add!) and at least for my head they are the best, without a doubt. I don't even bother trying others on these days as there really is no room for improvement.
  • Elfed
    I've decided to go for the LAS Victory, Halfords have 10% off till 2pm so it's available for £61 which is cheap.

If it's no good I'll get the Lazer, although the O2 does have the aeroshell option.
  • Elfed
    So today I picked up the LAS Victory, just tried it on and a bit disappointed as the lower middle to back seems to interfere with my glasses.
    Putting on the glasses seems a bit of a struggle due to the lower rim being too low with the arms hitting the rear rear adjuster cradle, and also wearing them over the straps seems impossible :( . Anyone else experienced this, or are my ears placed way too high on my head??? :(

The helmet itself is nice looking, with a white opalescent finish, very well made with a mesh liner inside. One thing I'm not sure of is the fit, it seems a bit tight on the front and back when adjusted with some room to spare either side.

I think I'm going to ask for a refund as I'm not happy with the fit or the glasses placement.
    Shame as it was a great price.
  • jonny_trousers
    That's the problem with heads: they come in all kinds of different shapes and sizes. The only issue I have with mine - if you can even call it an issue - is that I can't wear my shades over the straps either (a strap issue rather than a helmet one), but then that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I don't shave my legs either :oops:

Keep trying; you'll get there in the end!
  • Elfed
    I think this helmet's designed for a rounder head as I can put my little finger inbetween helmet and head on the sides, so as well as the glasses problem, it also doesn't fit properly, which is probably more important :D
  • Elfed
    Bought the Lazer o2 today, perfect fit, very discreet and best of all bought it from my LBS, great bunch of guys who always have time to help you.
    Sometimes it costs more to buy local, but sure does feel better.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    My Lazer O2 is great, had it 18 months, the little wheel in the top for adjusting the tension on the fly is nice and handy if i'm wearing a cap underneath.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Make sure you keep the receipt as Madison (the UK distributors of the O2) do a 2 year crash replacement warranty (one gets about 50% off the cost of replacement). Great service which I used recently, they couldn't do much for my broken hand though, pah!
  • Elfed
    That's good to know, hopefully won't need the service :(
  • jonny_trousers
    Elfed wrote:
    Bought the Lazer o2 today, perfect fit, very discreet and best of all bought it from my LBS, great bunch of guys who always have time to help you.
    Sometimes it costs more to buy local, but sure does feel better.

I'd actually far prefer to buy a helmet from a shop over an online retailer, but very few offer a large selection to compare.

Glad you found the right one!
  • Elfed
    Maybe, but the LAS was severely discounted with loads of extras so too much of a bargain to pass, plus it was from Halfords which I picked up from the store, plus the Halfords is closer to my home than the LBS :D
  • jonny_trousers
    Elfed wrote:
    Maybe, but the LAS was severely discounted with loads of extras so too much of a bargain to pass, plus it was from Halfords which I picked up from the store, plus the Halfords is closer to my home than the LBS :D

I actually edited my last post as I thought it was too cheeky, but you beat me to it ;)
  • Elfed
    Ha, don't worry about it, all a bit of fun.