Trek Domane 4.7 or Specialized Roubaix SL4...

Puggirl
Puggirl Posts: 7
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I am trying o decide between these 2 bikes.
Can people please share their experiences/opinions on each one with me. The Trek is priced at £2300, the Roubaix is £2200.

A link to Evans cycles lists the spec of each bike.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... e-ec054311

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec053038

Thank you

Comments

• Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    Ive got the Domane, I had the same dilemma, the bikes are there or thereabouts the same so it came down to colour and waiting time for me, and as I dont like red I took the white bike.

I have put my Askium's on it and it rides lovely, the only issue is the chimp sat on the saddle, Comfy, moreish and a pleasure to ride.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I doubt you'd be disappointed with either bike; good frames & components.
    FWIW, I'm coming up to 3 years ownership of a Roubaix Expert that has a very similar frame & kit, and it's been a blast, with no problems. Didn't try a Trek, but did a Tarmac of similar spec.- geometry of Roubaix was better for me.
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    I opted for the Spesh comp, I love the red it's looks great with a pair of red keo look pedals, different from the norm i.e it's not black !
    I also preferred the fat down tube on the Spesh, the Spesh is a love it or hate bike, but I think they look far better in the flesh than any pic.
    I don't think there is much between them, the only thing I didn't like about the Trek was the external cable routing.
    Take em both for a test ride and let your bum decide.
    If you go down the Spesh route try a Spesh concept store if there's one near you, great service and they will normally throw in a BG body fit FOC as. Sales tool, well worth it in my case and very thorough.
    I think both frames are equally comfortable, but the Spesh is nearer the Madone in terms of stiffness so it covers more bases.
    The only things I have swapped on the Spesh is upgraded the brakes to 6800 which I also got FOC, and swapped the tyres for GP4000s.
    Happy hunting.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • Graham K wrote:
    Ive got the Domane, I had the same dilemma, the bikes are there or thereabouts the same so it came down to colour and waiting time for me, and as I dont like red I took the white bike.

I have put my Askium's on it and it rides lovely, the only issue is the chimp sat on the saddle, Comfy, moreish and a pleasure to ride.

I was in a similar position in January and opted for the Roubaix for two reasons.

Looks (personal taste)
    Internal cabling (found it shocking that the Trek didn't have this but only minor point i could find)

Either are great bikes and are going to be great for you so good luck
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    Graham K wrote:
    Internal cabling (found it shocking that the Trek didn't have this but only minor point i could find)

Either are great bikes and are going to be great for you so good luck

Neither does Cervelo R5 or C'dale Evo Six,because internal cabling is unnecessary,I have 2 bikes,one with internal and one without internal.And if I'm buying a bike today,I wouldn't bother with cables at all because you don't feel any difference.
  • No you misunderstand me, i'm fickle and don't like the look of external cables so that was a factor for me when choosing.

My SL2 Roubaix wet weather bike has external cables but much prefer my internal cable routed SL4

Just a cosmetic reason only....
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    I get to sell both of these bikes and have had a reasonable amount of saddle time on both of them. If I were to buy either of them it would be the Domane, without any doubt. On paper they look very similar but if you ride them both for an extended time the Domane's ride quality is unparalleled. The Roubaix is still very good though.
  • Does the Isospeed decoupler have a rider weight limit? does anyone know?

I would be worried about riding along, only to find the seatpost up my arris where its snapped :D
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Does the Isospeed decoupler have a rider weight limit? does anyone know?

I would be worried about riding along, only to find the seatpost up my arris where its snapped :D

It doesn't. It gives up to about 3cm of travel, it becomes harder to achieve maximum travel each time you size up. This is to account for taller riders being heavier. Difficult to get the full amount of travel unless you're on the heavy size for your size, though.
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    ollie51 wrote:
    Does the Isospeed decoupler have a rider weight limit? does anyone know?

It doesn't. It gives up to about 3cm of travel, it becomes harder to achieve maximum travel each time you size up. This is to account for taller riders being heavier. Difficult to get the full amount of travel unless you're on the heavy size for your size, though.

5 foot 10, 105 kilos on a 56 frame :)
  • Puggirl
    Puggirl Posts: 7
    I ordered the Roubaix, it was the internal cable routing that swung it for me.

Thank you for the posts. Off to research double sided pedals now...
  • Ok thanks for the info.

As for double sided pedals i run Speed play zeros, been brilliant, especially for the knees! :D
  • Puggirl wrote:
    I ordered the Roubaix, it was the internal cable routing that swung it for me.

Thank you for the posts. Off to research double sided pedals now...

Same reason i went for the Roubaix. I found it hard to choose between two great bikes so a relatively small factor made the decision for me
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530