Hand built wheel

Jimbeam3678
Jimbeam3678 Posts: 54
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I've been to my LBS YorkCycleworks for some advice on buying some wheels (budget £500)

I had a long chat with them and explained the sort of riding I do 40 -70 mile rides with average speed 18- 19 mph and they suggested the following build :-
    Dt competition Black spokes Hope RS hubs H+Son Archetype Rims Setup as Tubeless

Hes convinced me there are very few if any drawbacks of tubeless besides the initial cost.

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I agree.

The main drawback of tubeless is that you have 3-4 Hutchinson tyres and 1-2 Schwalbe tyres to choose from and they are all 23 mm, so not much of a choice. But you can always go tubed if you don't like any of them. Archetype allows you to ride tubed or tubeless.
    Easy!
    left the forum March 2023
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I am certainly no expert on hand built wheels - however, every component listed on your spec. receives very favourable feedback on this forum. From what I have heard York cycleworks is also a very reputable LBS.

I would add that using the just riding long wheel builder you can build a similar wheel set to the one above - replacing the hope hubs with the dura ace hubs for less than £500 - although I have no idea if these hubs are better than the hopes.
    For a little more than £500 you could swop out the archetypes for the Hed Ardennes rims - again not sure what potential upside to this would be.
  • Thanks for the replies , I'd rather stick with the Hope hubs due to maintenance , parts etc being readily available in the long term.

I'll have a google around about the archetypes. Any particular tyre worth getting ahead of any other?

As for Cycleworks I had a bikefit there a few weeks ago which was superb , seem like a really professional outfit 8)
  • ugo.santalucia
    Thanks for the replies , I'd rather stick with the Hope hubs due to maintenance , parts etc being readily available in the long term.

I'll have a google around about the archetypes. Any particular tyre worth getting ahead of any other?

As for Cycleworks I had a bikefit there a few weeks ago which was superb , seem like a really professional outfit 8)

I agree... if you can change a bearing, sealed cartridges are the way to go.
    The Ultremo tubeless are too expensive for my likes. Hutchinson receives mixed reviews, so it is a case of trying for yourself... I am potentially interested in trying the Atom tubeless, but I need a good reason to fit road tyres again... at the moment my gravel Vittoria XN tyre laps Richmond park at the same pace of a Corsa CX tubular, so it's hard to justify the investment. I don't like 23 mm anymore... if there was a 27 I'd be keener
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    I have a pair of unused wheels on archetype rims, kinda made redundant after switching to powertap on ambrosio and I never knew they could be run as tubeless until noticing this thread.

I've just had a quick google and it seems Schwalbe have the 2014 One Tyre in 23, 25 & 28s;
    http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/schwalbe-one.html

They seem to suggest a 70 kg Max Load, not sure if this is a safe number and you could easily push 100+ Kg :unsure:
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I have a pair of unused wheels on archetype rims, kinda made redundant after switching to powertap on ambrosio and I never knew they could be run as tubeless until noticing this thread.

I've just had a quick google and it seems Schwalbe have the 2014 One Tyre in 23, 25 & 28s;
    http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/schwalbe-one.html

They seem to suggest a 70 kg Max Load, not sure if this is a safe number and you could easily push 100+ Kg :unsure:

Yeah, but the 28 weigh more than my Vittoria XN 32 cross tyres, which I happily run tubeless at 50-60 PSI and they are as nippy as it gets, so I don't get the point of these... I would only be able to run higher pressure, which is not something I crave. At least the Atom 23 are 270 grams, which is kind of in line with a road tyre
  • chrisǃ
    chrisǃ Posts: 67
    I have those exact wheels from cycleworks, I think they came to about £450 with Bontrager R2 25c tires. Cracking set of bombproof wheels, they don't spin up like my Planet X tubs but for training they're great.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    sounds like robust build what spoke count? there needs to be a tubular archetype!
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    sounds like robust build what spoke count? there needs to be a tubular archetype!

It wouldn't be a hit... there is a HED Belgium tubular, have you ever seen one?
  • Chris! wrote:
    I have those exact wheels from cycleworks, I think they came to about £450 with Bontrager R2 25c tires. Cracking set of bombproof wheels, they don't spin up like my Planet X tubs but for training they're great.

Thats the tires they quoted me on why 25C? will fit on Orbera road bikes?

As I said to cycleworks I'm not that knowledgeable with tubeless and handbuilt wheels.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Yes I have I need pair just getting hold of them is not so easy.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks for all the replies I'll be placing my order for tubeless once my LBS reopens.

Thanks again