can this happen ?

SpecializedJake
SpecializedJake Posts: 34
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi guys. I apologise if this is a stupid question I'm more of a mountain biker my self so I don't know but anyway. I recently acquired a 1992 raleigh pioneer classic.I decided to restoreit for my dad because he used to have one himself! The tires obviously hadn't been replaced since the original purchase so the first thing after giving it a clean,relube and full inspection was order two new tires. Michelin world tours in 35c. I also got two new 700c innertubes of the same size as the originals because I don't trust 20 year old rubber. So I fitted the new tubes and tires today after truing a slight buckle in the rear wheel. The front wheel was completely straight and the rear trued up nicely. Anyway about 35 mins after fitting them I heard a loud hiss and I saw the front tire go completely flat even though the tube wasn't twisted or pinched. I just dismissed this as my own fault and went to replace the tube. The old tube had only one small hole and no snakebites. However when I went to the remove the tire I noticed that the front wheel was buckled and so I wondering can a tube at around about 80 psi really cause a serious buckle in a wheel ?
2018 On One Proto
2013 Haro Pro XL BMX
2017 Planet X London Road

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    No it can't.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I high pressure tire can reduce the tension in the spokes which in return can cause the poor wheel build to fail.

But it is very rare.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown