Sore feet during rides

aaronspeight
aaronspeight Posts: 31
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Just a quick one to see if there is a way to fix it - everytime i go out on my road bike after only a few km i get pins and needles in my foot. I do wear cleats and have never really known if there in the right position for me as i dont what the right position is...

If anyone else has had this issue can you tell me how you fixed it as im doing (hopefully) 100k ride tomorrow

Thanks
A

Comments

• KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    I find after a few miles I am loostening the ratchet on my shoes my one notch, then after about 20 miles, I am loosening again, your feet swell whilst riding, possibly your shoes too tight?
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • i dont think they swell, and i used to think they were too tight so started wearing them looser and i still get pins and needles...

A
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I do wear cleats and have never really known if there in the right position for me as i dont what the right position is...

In which case, your first priority should be to make sure your cleats are in the right position. Plenty of advice on here and on YT. Sort your cleats first, then see if you still have the problem.
  • sit on a table with your feet hanging relaxed (legs parallel) and take note of the angle of your feet (toes in, toes out, straight etc) and fit your cleats so that they maintain your natural foot angle whilst clipped in.

also fit the cleats so that your ball of your foot is over the pedal spindle

rough idea but a start (worked for me)
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    I used to get this all the time. I loosened the ratchet a lot and it went away. I then went back one notch at a time until they were snug but with no pins and needles.
  • nuggiebok
    nuggiebok Posts: 63
    I was discussing this at work yesterday as I suffer this and numb toes. It could be vibration? Perhaps try gel inserts?
  • popularname
    popularname Posts: 173
    +1 for getting the cleats in the right position. I spent three days in the summer on a short tour, switching from road bike to touring bike. Had terrible pins and needles by the end of day 1 and spent morning of day 2 playing around with ratchets etc etc. At end of day 2, I moved the cleats forward a couple of millimetres; and the pain stopped immediately.
    I'm getting blisters on my feet - Mainly big toes - Any ideas ? Decent Socks or Insoles needed ?