new bike

cremator
cremator Posts: 99
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
hi all got £1000 to spend on a road bike i like cannondale and the cube need a big size frame as i am 6ft 6 not sure which one to go for any help would be good please good or bad only think dont like on the cube is the white bar tape but guess this can be changed many thanks darren

Comments

• Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    You could go for The cube, but The cube are generally considered inferior to Cannondale, as for the white bar tape on The cube that could just be changed for around £15

The cube are known for furnishing their bikes well but I don't think the frames match up to the quality of cannondale and remember cannondale have lifetime warranty!

I just bought the Mrs a Caad8 which is a great bike and comes in at around £750 so would leave you some money for kit of even some upgrades like new wheels, it comes in a lovely colourway as well.
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sprool wrote:

That's upping the budget by 50% but great if you can stretch to it.

Cubes are great bikes and only 'inferior' to Cannondale frames because Cannondale's are so good.
    Cubes generally look better than Cannondale's IMO and it comes down to individual bike rather than brand between those two.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I am just over 6ft6 and at that height you are at the top end of most frame sizes. My cycling in seam is 93cm as I have a relatively long body and I ride a Trek 1.5 62cm bike which is in their H2 fit With the stem flipped into the upright position this gives me about an inch of drop from the saddle to the bars. To help you compare the reach as standard on my bike is 39.8cm and the stack is 63.4cm. If you compare this to other bikes geometry you will get an idea of relative sizing.

Have a look at the riding position on your existing bike and keep that in mind when choosing a new bike. You may prefer a less upright riding position than I do with only an inch of drop. Also be careful with people's advice as most are not 6ft6 or taller and may not appreciate the limitations in bike choice this can give.

Good luck and try to do some test rides to be sure ;)
  • cremator
    cremator Posts: 99
    hi thank you all think cannondale is the way forward this will be my first road bike at mo got hybrid i was thinkinking of this one http://images.cyclesuk.com/images/csg/b ... eight=1200 just not sure if 10 gears is enough at mo got 27 lol i know i dont use them all guess most road bikes dont come with amount of gears also its the finshing kit sora ,claris and so on where do i start .http://images.cyclesuk.com/images/csg/b ... eight=1200