Used vs new

Conor78
Conor78 Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi
Looking to get a road bike, live in n Ireland so chain reaction is quite close and they seem to have good deals at the moment. I'm 6, 2 budget is 500 would I be better buying new or looking at a used bike from ebay/ Gumtree?

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    500 new sees you buying at base end of market whilst for 500 s/hand you can pick up some good buys. I have just sold a carbon bike with Shimano 105 5700 groupset & new Shimano R501 wheels for that money - all in VGC.

Beware of gumtree - I rarely buy off there but if I do it's always collection. Scams abound on gumtree.
  • Conor78
    Conor78 Posts: 3
    Thanks for that, I'm a total novice in terms of biking but if I had to spend 500 I'd rather pick up a second head bike of better quality!! Thanks
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Sounds like you've answered your own question. Only reservation I would have in your position is that you'll have a much smaller pool to fish in over in NI than say London. Just needs a bit more patience/ luck to find the right pre-owned deal.

Peter
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Keep an eye on preloved.co.uk too. It's like a better class of gumtree ;)

Bikeradar classifies forum is good too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited April 2014
    Used v new depends on the quality of the used.

Used wins when you find a good condition bargain in your size that's not stolen and near enough to pick up or buyer willing to package and post.

I have found such a bike once but personally I would do some overtime/miss out on something, up the budget and get a half price £1500 new one.

Can you get one on a cycle to work scheme?
  • 29black
    29black Posts: 24
    You can even pick up an 'as new' or even new because of people not getting into cycling or time commitments or whatnot.

Bargains are out there, just have to be patient - try and narrow down a few bikes you may want to go for and keep an eye on eBay and Gumtree.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Used bargains are out there, but as well as patience you will need other things like knowledge, location and luck IMO

Or you could have popped to CRC today and been out on a Cube tomorrow/Monday.

Anyone got an example of an ebay bargain?
    Show us what you think the OP should be going for :wink:
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    Check adverts and boards.ie always loads of Alu frame, carbon fork, 105 for €500.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Carbonator wrote:
    Used bargains are out there, but as well as patience you will need other things like knowledge, location and luck IMO

Or you could have popped to CRC today and been out on a Cube tomorrow/Monday.

Anyone got an example of an ebay bargain?
    Show us what you think the OP should be going for :wink:

Not in OPs location but I thought this was a good price and it was all VGC

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12966194

He may need to get a bike couriered from eBay to widen his search. If he pays by Paypal and the bike is not as described then he'll be covered anyway - he will need a bit of knowledge though.