Replacing bearings on Novatec hubs - tools?

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Bearings on my rear hub (F482SB) are mighty crunchy so have ordered some new bearings for it. I've had a look at a few videos on YouTube and think I can cope with this task - anyone got any clever tips for making it as easy as it can be? I don't have the bearing removal tools (which seem to "just" be metal tubes of the correct dimensions anyway) - will I find it hard/impossible without them? Many thanks for any help.

Comments

• jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Appropriate size sockets (from socket set) can be used to press in/out bearings. If the old ones are shot, just hammer them out with a punch. Press in the new ones using a socket that fits on the OUTER ring of the bearing and keep them square whilst pressing them in.
    The outer bearing in the freehub has to be removed first. The inner bearing inside the freehub is secured by a circlip which has to be removed.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    This might be of some help. Near the end of this thread I explain my experience of replacing the bearings on my Novatec 482.

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12933141&hilit=Novatec

In my experience it comes down to employing a bit of lateral thinking to find the right "tools" when pressing or driving home the new bearings. Just make sure the whatever you use it has a wide enough diameter to contact the outer ring of the new bearing. If not there is a danger that you will apply too much force to the inner ring causing damage or complete failure.
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    Nice one, thanks chaps, looks like that thread contains all my answers!

[/thread closed] ;-)