Rear hub overhaul

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 849
edited April 2014 in Workshop
2007 Scott s20 rear hub is in a pretty bad state.. Very rough when spinning (scraping/grinding) and a lot of play when the qr skewer is tight. Expected to buy a new hub/wheel but thought id try fixing first! I've removed the cassette and the rubber cone. Any tips on what to do next?! Wheel is an Alex rims at450. Thanks

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Given the noises and it's a cheap cup and cone hub:

use a pair of cone spanners so separate the locknut from the cone (doesn't matter which side)
    remove locknut
    remove cone
    remove axle
    remove all bearings
    clean
    see the races are pitted beyond repair and junk the wheel
    buy handbuilt hope/openpro combo
  • chatlow
    Ha, thanks. Managed to follow a YouTube guide and cleaned everything. Only thing I couldn't grease properly was in the middle of the hub. Put it all back together and still a bit scrapy when wheel spins (maybe need more grease) but the play has gone.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Don't know why you would grease the middle of the hub, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Were the balls dull or shiny? Was there any dullness or obvious pitting on the hub races? If so, then it's possibly just that you can hear and more grease won't help. Alternatively, if you hold the axle ends and spin the wheel in your hand you should not feel anything. If it feels rough then the cones are already too tight and need backing out a little.
  • chatlow
    Technically wasn't the middle I greased.. It was the axle that goes through the hub I greased. Did so cause the the video did. The balls were pretty dull and covered in filthy brown grease so chucked them in some degreaser. I don't know what the hub races are! Feels rough when I spin the wheel even when the cones are not tight :(
  • You defo need new balls maybe new cones as well before any chance of it being smooth. The races are the part of the hub where the balls contact the hub (ie the balls race around in that groove on the hub with the cone on the other side of them) if the races are also rusty and damaged you have bigger issue - you can try sanding them down with emery cloth to try to smooth them out. I have a set of 105 hub I did that on (thanks to advice on here Ugo and cycleclinic) which run fine.
  • chatlow
    Ok thanks. Well I only took the balls out using a magnet... Cleaned them up a little bit and regreased both the races and the balls before putting it all back together again. Rough noise is exactly the same. Play has gone now that I've tightened it more. Might be new wheel time. New hub might be cheaper but fitting it to the existing wheel will be a pita. Thanks