Andycar82
Andycar82 Posts: 129
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
What gloves are actually genuinely warm for early morning riding ? Thanks
Wilier GTR and Italian Tifosi Stalion

Comments

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I'd have to ask what time of year and temperature are you thinking of?

I use the Assos early winter gloves through winter and adjust to temperature variances by adding lining gloves and, if things get bitterly cold, their lobster mits which go over the two layers of liner and early winter gloves.

I also have a pair of Assos Fugu gloves which are remarkably warm but I wonder if their layered construction may prove a bit fragile to the rigours of winter riding. I haven't properly tested them out, mostly using the system described above.

One caution about asking folks for warm glove recommendations - we all have remarkably different circulations, with some folks suffering permanently cold hands and others nearly the opposite!

Peter
  • Rapha merino or castelli lightness
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Andycar82
    Andycar82 Posts: 129
    I guess so, but I suffer badly! Just the warmest money can buy, not worried about getting too warm, as I won't be cycling in December, Jan, something that can see me through for 6 am rides where the temp is still cold with costal wind chill!
    Wilier GTR and Italian Tifosi Stalion
  • Pedro77
    Pedro77 Posts: 59
    I agree, comes down to personal choice... I have bought some Sealskinz ones a few years back, still going strong after 5 years, not the lightest but keeps my hands dry and warm on cooler days.

Pedro
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    I've got a pair of neoprene endura gloves, lots of sweat but the warmest I've ever used.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Hard to find these days, but Campag Steam are almost too bloody warm.
  • Try thin merino wool glove liners and almost anything wind proof you like over them. Very, very warm.
  • I've tried shed loads of gloves over the years and the ones that work for my poor fingers now are Craft Lobsters.
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    Try thin merino wool glove liners and almost anything wind proof you like over them. Very, very warm.

I agree. I use liners inside my Endura shell gloves, and these see me through the worst winter has to offer.
    For spring I've recently bought a pair of Planet X Flanders softshell gloves and I'm thoroughly impressed, especially at the price. Construction seems very robust too - a total bargain imho.
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    This may seem an odd post but i have a pair of Adli/Lidl gloves (not sure which),which i have to be honest are a cracking set of lovely warm gloves.But,the worst part about them are the lining.I have real trouble getting my fingers into the lining and then into the glove.Does anyone else get this and do all gloves have the same problem.

Last weekend in the early hours i put them on,it took five minutes to finally get my fingers where they ought to be,very frustrating.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Andycar, If you are really struggling with cold hands, some people have previously suggested ski gloves. The trade off is that you may have less tactile control of the gear levers/ brakes; plus your hands may cook; but they are likely to be the warmest solution available.

Peter
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    northpole wrote:
    I use the Assos early winter gloves through winter and adjust to temperature variances by adding lining gloves and, if things get bitterly cold, their lobster mits which go over the two layers of liner and early winter gloves.

I also have a pair of Assos Fugu gloves which are remarkably warm but I wonder if their layered construction may prove a bit fragile to the rigours of winter riding. I haven't properly tested them out, mostly using the system described above.
    Peter

A couple of comments. I'm a massive fan of the old Assos Early Winter 851 gloves - they served me brilliantly through 3 winters of extended (30-mile RT) Scottish Highlands commuting. When I saw they were being phased out for the new design, I bought another pair. The second pair had some slightly flaky stitching so I sent them back and got an "upgrade" to the new Early Winters and, TBH, I'm not as happy with them. I don't think they are as warm or weatherproof as the 851s.

I also bought a pair of Fugus on the back of the 851s and I'd say they're the most disappointing piece of Assos kit I own. They're only marginally (2 to 3 Celsius) warmer than the much lighter 851 and very poor in the wet with the odd characteristic of letting water in on the palm side of the glove and at the seams of the fingers. For the money (I'm glad I paid nothing like full price) I think that they are very poor (@Peter - if you're still in a money-back window, I'd seriously consider doing so - Early Winters and liner gloves are every bit as good and a Early Winters and Lobsters are much much better)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Pedro77 wrote:
    I agree, comes down to personal choice... I have bought some Sealskinz ones a few years back, still going strong after 5 years, not the lightest but keeps my hands dry and warm on cooler days.

Pedro

I bought a pair of these from Evans yesterday,reduced from £35 down to £21.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • MattFT
    MattFT Posts: 178
    I'm going to get some hate for this, but I got the Rapha Deep Winter gloves and are very impressed. They use OutDry which is laminated to the outer layer and is impressively waterproof and breathable. My motorbike gloves also use this stuff and keep my hands warm at 100mph at 5 degrees. I've used the Raphas down to -5 in Berlin this winter and they've been warm enough. I'd say they're too warm once you get to 8 or 10 degrees.

Expensive, but the best winter gloves I've ever used.
    FCN: 4

My Condor R.I.P.

Enigma Echo - everything outside the city
    Genesis Day One Disc - commuter