Which Carbon bike??

Chubblock
Chubblock Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I am getting a new bike on the cycle to work scheme, I will be commuting and also going on long rides.
My question is the 2 bikes I've seen are a Planet X Sl Pro at £999 and a Meridian Cf93 at £850 reduced from£1300. Now my question is which should I go for? The Planet X seems to have more bells and whistles but the Meridian is £1300 so does that make it a better overall bike or just paying for the name?
Any help will be greatly received, cheers :)

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I'd be going for the Planet X, it's mainly an Ultegra groupset while the Merida is Tiagra, it's hard to beat the Planet X for £999.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • 29black
    29black Posts: 24
    RRP tends to be a tricky subject, you'll find a lot of bikes overpriced for the spec.
    Planet X certainly offer some excellent bikes at almost unbelievable prices - I would personally go for the Planet X as you get a mix of the Ultegra components whereas the Merida is offering Tiagra.

If you're buying on the C2W scheme, it may be worth noting that a 10-12.5% admin fee is extra to consider.
  • Andycar82
    Andycar82 Posts: 129
    Wilier GTR Veloce, you won't be disappointed got mine for £1350
    Wilier GTR and Italian Tifosi Stalion
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Andycar82 wrote:
    Wilier GTR Veloce, you won't be disappointed got mine for £1350

Problem is that if it's being bought on C2W the limit is likely to be £1000.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Andycar82
    Andycar82 Posts: 129
    Got mine on the scheme, you can spend as much as you like, I paid £350 to bike shop upfront then paying the k off through the scheme, in total I will have spent about a 1000 on it
    Wilier GTR and Italian Tifosi Stalion
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    PX Pro Carbon and I would take the interest free option they offer.
  • I received my dolan lEtape on Thursday after much research and reading reviews etc and can honestly say that's its bloody fantastic, I also bought it on the c2w scheme but sold my old cube peloton and upgraded the wheels to mavic kysirum equips but from what I've heard the standard miche wheels are very good anyhow so just another bike to consider but I would heartily recommend it and the guys at dolan are great and bend over backwards to help