Pivot bearing - what's this aluminium part called???

nasha48
nasha48 Posts: 231
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all. Been performing rather amateur removal of a worn pivot bearing set in my rear suspension pivot directly adjacent to the BB. Still haven't managed to get everything out. However, I have got the aluminium part shown in the pic out, though I've managed to somewhat mash it up during my frustrated removal. My question is where might I find a replacement part and if web searching, what's it called? For info, it's off my Boardman Comp FS. Also, it's one solid part.
Any helpful advice much appreciated. Simply trying to save cash from taking it to LBS but beginning to regret it.

Comments

• miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    What did you take that out with?? You want a pivot rebuild kit... Have you looked on boardmans site?
  • It's probably called a bush of some sort. To be honest you may have to buy a complete bush/bearing kit to replace it as I should imagine that it's going be difficult to buy it as a separate part. As miceden says you will probably have to contact Boardman Bikes or your local Halfords branch.
  • nasha48
    It came clean out after using a socket piece and hammer on one side of the frame to bash the opposite cartridge bearing out. Not got a press or even a proper vice hence went bulldozing ahead as thought i could get the bearings out ok then get some new ones in. Not happy. Problem is with Boardman parts is they're not too easy to come across in my experience. Even Halfords have trouble at times it seems. Was hoping some brighter spark than me on here could tell me where i need to head to on the web to get this (found the bearings themselves on mbbearings.com) but looks like no luck. Cheers anyway guys.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    You probably won't get far with Halfords or boardman and the rebuild kit, from what I've read, is expensive... You're better off finding a frame on fleabay and cannibalising it for parts, most likely will be cheaper as well.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    miceden wrote:
    You probably won't get far with Halfords or boardman and the rebuild kit, from what I've read, is expensive... You're better off finding a frame on fleabay and cannibalising it for parts, most likely will be cheaper as well.

And the parts will be pre worn...
  • If there is enough of it to measure I can probably make one up.
  • nasha48
    Rampage - well that's a very kind offer. There is enough to measure yes. If, as I suspect, Halfords fail me, would you seriously consider making something up? If so, what would be a reasonable cost for you?
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Aren't mates with lathes damn useful.
  • Sorry, only just seen this.
    Did you get it sorted?
    I've changed my email address in my profile so hopefully will get notifications now!