opinions - dt swiss ex5.1d for AM/FR

rickbst170
rickbst170 Posts: 228
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Been offered these in good nick on dt swiss 440 hubs at £85. Hubs are rebranded (affects resale value?). Whatcha think? Mainly AM for now, leaning towards more burly stuff as confidence builds.

Ta
Rick

Comments

• rickbst170
    Or mavic 823 on hope bulbs?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Hope bulbs weren't much good when they were new and they're very old now.
    EX5.1 are ok. Reasonably light and stiff but a soft alloy so the rims can dent easily if you run tyre pressures a bit low.
  • rickbst170
    Cheers bud. What do you think of the price? Guess they're pretty old now, and they have magura freeride hubs instead of the usual dt swiss hubs. Pretty tidy though. Am I being too much of a cheapskate? willing to up my original budget for wheels to around £100ish, but only for the right thing. Been looking for 721s on pro2s, stans flow of arch on whatever, maybe dt ex500 on dt hubs. anything else worth keeping an eye out for?

Thanks as always.

Ta
  • rickbst170
    Ok. So...5.1d's are a fallback plan. Last question...if it was your money would spend 85 on used dt swiss 5.1 on dt 440 hubs, 100 on used mavic 721 on hope pro 2s, or 140 on brand new stans crests on superstar switch from ss directly.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would take the 721's on pro 2's.
    I wouldn't buy another set of Superstar wheels. They are ok but I have had too many freehubs crack. They get replaced under warranty each time but its getting annoying now.