Places to park in the peak district or nearby for free?

danielfisher9
danielfisher9 Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi

Me and some friends are planning a cycling trip round the peaks. I'm basically wanting to leave the car somewhere out the way for the day whilst we ride but don't want to use a longstay car park or somewhere central in the park where i have to pay because those towns are far to busy and would rather cycle into them from out of the park and save some money.

Hope you can help.

Comments

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    There are plenty of free car parks, just depends where you want to be.
    Hope station car park is free and unlimited timewise. There's a car park near Cromford station, and some free parking opposite the Cat & Fiddle Inn.
  • Wardster00
    Wardster00 Posts: 143
    Monyash is pretty much as central as you can get in the Peak district and the village itself has lots of unrestricted parking. Failing that on the road that leads out of Monyash towards Bakewell there is Lathkill Campsite on the left and there is a layby opposite the public toilets that you can park in.

If that's full there are 2 more lay-by's on the road towards Bakewell. They are gravel type lay-by's with no parking restrictions.

You could also do a google search for Peak District walks near where you want to go, as the walking guides will always leave a recommendation for where to leave your car.
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    There is a lot of free parking just below Stanage Edge near Hathersage. Very popular with climbers so always a lot of folks around. Good riding round there as well.