Which brakes?

DM222
DM222 Posts: 90
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all

Some thieving low life has taken my wheels, saddle, seatpost and bizarrely my brakes from my Giant Defy 1!
They were only factory fitted standard items so I guess I've got a chance to upgrade bits now.
The Defy 1 comes with mostly Shimano 105 running gear but the brakes aren't.
After a bit of reading I discovered a couple of reviews suggesting the Giant brakes were better than the 105 brakes which I was a bit surprised at so was just wondering if any of you could recommend any half decent brakes for my re-build that won't break the bank?!

Thank for any replies in advance :wink:

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I just use 105's which are about £50 a pair.
  • DM222
    Kajjal wrote:
    I just use 105's which are about £50 a pair.

I was going to buy 105's but was surprised that the stock Giant items are considered to be better. The price Giant want for them prompted me to ask all you 'experts' on here what other decent replacements I should look at :wink:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The stock giant brakes will be in the same ballpark. If you weigh a ton and have had lots of problems with braking then it might be worth thinking about, otherwise you're just over-thinking it and 105 will do fine (as they would for 90% of people of normalish weight).
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I weight about 100KG being over 6ft6. I found the stock brakes on my Trek 1.5 were really poor, in comparison the 105's were much better. To be honest at my weight disc brakes are a better idea , especially in the wet.
  • DM222
    I forgot - most magazine testers for pretty much anything not just bikes get to test the best the world has to offer yet rarely give honest opinions on real world riding etc
  • Try trp r920's. Think pro bike kit have them.

I've got them on the caad and they would stop a train. Maybe.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!