Another noob

Caveman_Chris
Caveman_Chris Posts: 135
edited April 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi guys, I've been lurking around for a while now and decided I need a little more specific advice than what I can eavesdrop in on.

A few years ago I bought a gt aggressor xc3 (seems to be a bit of a Frankenstein's monster with its hydro discs etc) for £400 from halfords with was used as a commuter during the BST months (don't like road riding in the dark) and fire road trail bike when needed.

But now with a recent house move I no longer have need for forced hybrid and I have much better access to woodland so a new bike is in order.

TBH I don't have much idea of what I need, so if you guys could fill in the blanks that would be fantastic.

Brakes- I'm a pretty 'sturdy' guy at 190lbs+ and I love the hydro discs that I currently have on the gt so they're a must.

Suspension-I seem to have found the limit of my sr sun tour standard fork. I don't think I need huge travel but the extra traction that FS would give should help in the bogs I like to play in and give extra confidence the stair sets I'm determined to master. However the longer of my local loops has a good 4-5 miles of unrelenting climb so pedal efficiency is quite important.

Wheels- I currently have 26" shod in conti mountain kings which are a great all rounder but do lack in traction thick mud and I think 29" wheels would help iron out some of the ruts that my current setup get hung up in.

Drivetrain-currently have a 3x10 setup which sometimes sees the lowest two gears and very rarely the highest 3/4 when off-road as I normally always take the dog and he struggles to keep up. Sorry I'm unable to give specifics.

Budget-I'm looking to spend around £1k but I'm looking for value more than anything so earlier models are key I'm guessing.

Thanks for taking the time to read the essay like rumblings of a noob and any advice would be great.

If I've missed any key info out please tell me.

Thank again CC
'14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
OnOne Codeine 29er

Comments

• tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    What's your budget? I recently picked up a Trek XCal 7 29" hardtail for under £700. Great frame, decent forks and quite acceptable mech and brakes. The only thing you may want to replace immediately are the plastic pedals! For me it makes a comfortable, sturdy and decent x-country bike (I'm not a downhiller, by the way).
    I was also looking at a Norco Charger, same price, ran the Trek close. Anyway, that's my opinion. Hope it's helpful, even if just a little. Otherwise, go to a decent independent bike shop and discuss your needs. The one I have used (I live in Cheltenham) is solid.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You will be fine at that weight with plenty of bikes to choose from unless you are extremely tall or short.

I weight about 220 pounds and have no problems at over 6ft6. I prefer XC hard tails as you get a better spec, fork and frame for the money, especially if you buy last years bikes on sale. FS means you take a hit on the spec and unless you get a very good deal may not suit your weight but it is all personal preference.

After test rides I ended up with a 2013 Specialized Carve hardtail due to liking the feel of the bike. It is a 29er XC hardtail and has been great on rough tracks, single track, fire roads etc. They can be picked up brand new on sale for about £950 or on ebay for £500-£600. There are many other similar brands and bikes that may suit you better. If you do your research you can get a real bargain.

The reason I chose my bike was stiff light frame, 2 x 10 drive chain, decent adjustable fork and I found the 29er wheels good for the riding I do. It has normal disc brakes as well. This does not suit everyone so try a few bikes at your local shop to see what you like.
  • Budget of around £1k but willing to go higher for a good deal. TBH. I've been looking at giant anthems as they seem fit for purpose and get excellent write ups, but I didn't want to influence anyone's opinion.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • muddpuppy
    muddpuppy Posts: 87
    Have a look at the boardman pro fs with discounts you could get it for 1300 or under if you get all the discounts available x9 group set rock shox monarch with lock out rear revelations front 130 travel avid 7 brakes great reviews the downside is it's looked down on by bike snobs if you think that's a downside
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Here you go.
    http://www.ashcycles.com/site/giant-anthem-x3-2013
    One of the best xc full suspension frames and reasonable components for a great price. Very efficient suspension and a great ride. One of the best bikes I have owned, I wish I had kept mine.
  • Thanks for the advice and links guys. However, after a trip to several LBSs of which only one had a giant anthem to try complete with a 4-5 week wait for my very own. So, to not have a wasted trip a tested a whyte t-129s and loved it. So after a meeting with the master of coin, it was settled. Should be picking it up this afternoon. Very excited to give it a blast later on.

Thanks again.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Very nice bike the t-129s mate, im sure your going to love it!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • ryanita
    ryanita Posts: 4
    tootsie323 wrote:
    What's your budget? I recently picked up a Trek XCal 7 29" hardtail for under £700. Great frame, decent forks and quite acceptable mech and brakes. The only thing you may want to replace immediately are the plastic pedals! For me it makes a comfortable, sturdy and decent x-country bike (I'm not a downhiller, by the way).
    I was also looking at a Norco Charger, same price, ran the Trek close. Anyway, that's my opinion. Hope it's helpful, even if just a little. Otherwise, go to a decent independent bike shop and discuss your needs. The one I have used (I live in Cheltenham) is solid.

Nice Information...thanks.buy.gif..I want too Trek XCal 7 29" but I still doubt :) can some one give more detail...
  • BigMitch41 wrote:
    Very nice bike the t-129s mate, im sure your going to love it!

Absolute beast. Little less nimble than my old 26" but just rolls over/through everything. I need to experiment with tyre pressures before I bin them, I'm going from conti mountkingsx2 to wtb Bronson (f) and nano (r) which roll well but clog and spin when off-piste.

CC
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er