Out of date energy gels

MountainMonster
MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
edited April 2014 in Road general
What's the consensus about out of date energy gels? I could imagine they are either perfectly fine for a long time after, or best to be avoided with a barge. I'm more inclined to go with the former rather than the latter, but how do other people feel?

Comments

• I would've thought they'd outlive us. But I'm no nutritionist.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Wouldn’t bother me. I don’t think there’s anything in them that can properly ‘go off’ like milk or meat. I’d imagine they’re almost sterile until you open them up
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,166
    You get dried herbs with a sell by date and ham that's been air dried for 5 years all in the same deli.

I seriously doubt a gel would do you any harm.

For what it's worth I ate a yoghurt a week out of date today based on the fact it's only milk gone off anyway.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Sussed out
    Sussed out Posts: 189
    I used to get gels for free and always saved them up for a rainy day...

Now I actually use them and I'm now working through the 'use by March 2011' vintage. Still fine.
  • foiegras
    foiegras Posts: 18
    If the pack is not swollen then they will be ok to use - the flavour might not be as strong as a fresh pack. If the pack is swollen - chuck it
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    Sterilised water and sugar, it should outlast mankind by a long mile. The only thing that can go wrong in time is the packaging starting to leech into the product... a bit of plastic won't kill you
    left the forum March 2023
  • Just as I suspected, perfect. That means I am fine then. What about Elite Flapjacks? To avoid if they are out of date?
  • Skidlid
    Skidlid Posts: 1
    Manufacturers have to put a 'sell by' or 'best before' date on their products to safeguard them. The date is THEIR guide. My wife lives and dies my the dates on packets and tins, whereas I'm the opposite.
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Like other posters I take use by dates with a pinch of salt - literally. What do people use to preserve things? Alcohol, sugar, salt, oil or vinegar

Once found some pickle in the cupboard 7 years beyond use by date. Rather good so finished it off without problems

HarryD
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    Just as I suspected, perfect. That means I am fine then. What about Elite Flapjacks? To avoid if they are out of date?

Depends on the ingredients... there might be oils and fats that can go rancid and degrade, would not bother with those, unless they are Just gone off last week.
    left the forum March 2023
  • al_kidder
    al_kidder Posts: 73
    Skidlid wrote:
    Manufacturers have to put a 'sell by' or 'best before' date on their products to safeguard them. The date is THEIR guide. My wife lives and dies my the dates on packets and tins, whereas I'm the opposite.
    Always check the use by date on a packet of salt. :?:
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I necked an out of date PowerGel a few months ago (didn't realise it was out of date until I spat it back out again). To use a good Glaswegian term, it was bowfin'.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Hmm, interesting that the PowerBar ones go off.

I'm a scientist and I'd agree with Ugo. They'll come out of the factory sterile and should last forever if unopened. I don't know what's in the PowerBar ones, but perhaps something in it is more prone to degradation or aggregation.

I got a free box of SiS ones ages ago (Best before March 2011) and have one occasionally and they're still fine. The flavour has diminished somewhat, again probably just down to degradation of the aromatic compounds in there, but nutritionally probably no difference.

Basically, give them a try, they won't kill you!
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    i had a carrier bag full of o.o.d. gels and bars, i kindly donated them to the young tri lads at my gym, didnt fancy a massive case of the $hit$ out on the road! lol
    i need more bikes
  • They ended up fine. Even the flapjacks were OK!
  • I find my freshly prepared Bergen jam butty is never OOD, and has the same desired effect....
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    High protein bars and gels go off due to bacteria breeding via the high protein in the product.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    I am glad someone asked this question as I have a box full which I have had for the last year,and I am still using them.
    They still have the taste and I have not had the sh**s yet :) they just make me f*rt a lot :(
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    Like most food stuffs the best before dates are there for legal reasons to cover the manufacturer. Use by dates are a little more interesting being either meat or milk based products. Refrigerated and unopened I'd go a day or two over for use by's and for best before's I ignore the date completely and have done for years - no ill effects.
    Gels I still have some best before June 2011 ones (SIS) and I can't taste any difference at all.
    They didn't worry about best before dates in 450 BC, AD79, 1456, 1888 etc and the human race is still around :)

1967 Engine
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    In the industry I work in we affix a 5 year shelf life because we test it for 5 years. Stored properly the devices will probably last much longer so the 5 years is only a limit to which we can prove it's safe. FWIW, I picked a yoghurt out the fridge at work the same as I mine, thought it was a bit lumpy and noticed after I'd finished that it was the wrong one and over a year out of date.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    some people even sell them out of date

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... atoefoo226
  • ChippyK wrote:
    FWIW, I picked a yoghurt out the fridge at work the same as I mine, thought it was a bit lumpy and noticed after I'd finished that it was the wrong one and over a year out of date.

Short message from beyond the grave, there.