Cannondale Synapse or Canyon CF SL 9.0

marcuscostello
marcuscostello Posts: 9
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Its time for my first road bike upgrade. I currently have a Specialized Allez 2011 61cm. Its the basic model with 2300 groupset.

I've spent a lot of time looking and come to the conclusion there is way too much choice.

I've focused in on the Canyon CF SL 9.0 with Ultegra groupset and the Cannondale Synapse Carbon with 105.
Both are basically the same price but the Canyon has a better all round package with Mavic Ksyrium wheels and Ultegra.

The geometry is apparently different with the Canyon being more aggressive and the Cannondale more comfortable. Can anyone comment on how much difference there is? I like doing 4-6 hour rides at the weekend so comfort over the ride is desired. I've analyse the geometry in detail but don't really know what difference 10mm here and 1 degree there makes.

Appreciate any advice!
MC

Comments

• Can you post both the geo's so people can comment without guessing
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I have a Cannondale Supersix and a Canyon CF SL. The Supersix is more of a race geo than the CF SL for sure. But a Synapse will likely to be similar to the Canyon depending on the size frame.

I have riden both bikes on 150 + mile rides and I find the CF SL more comfy, they have the same saddle and tyre fitted so the comfort is totally down to the geo. and bike.

I doubt you would be disappointed with either.
  • Can you post both the geo's so people can comment without guessing

Thanks for the responses. Yes the geometry would help alright.

Canyon 58
    Center to Top 583
    Top-Tube Length 585
    Chain-Stay Length 410
    Seat-Tube Angle 73.5
    Head-Tube Angle 73.25
    Wheelbase 1031
    Stand-Over Height 840
    Head-Tube Length 190
    Reach 406
    Stack 598

Cannondale 58
    Center to Top 530
    Top-Tube Length 580
    Chain-Stay Length 410
    Seat-Tube Angle 73
    Head-Tube Angle 73
    Wheelbase 1011
    Stand-Over Height 811
    Head-Tube Length 200
    Reach 396
    Stack 601

Cannondale 60 (Posting both 58 & 60 as it is not clear which is the most appropriate)
    Center to Top 560
    Top-Tube Length 600
    Chain-Stay Length 410
    Seat-Tube Angle 72.5
    Head-Tube Angle 73
    Wheelbase 1026
    Stand-Over Height 834
    Head-Tube Length 220
    Reach 405
    Stack 620

I'm 190cm with a 90cm inside leg.
    I have a Cannondale Supersix and a Canyon CF SL. The Supersix is more of a race geo than the CF SL for sure. But a Synapse will likely to be similar to the Canyon depending on the size frame.

I have riden both bikes on 150 + mile rides and I find the CF SL more comfy, they have the same saddle and tyre fitted so the comfort is totally down to the geo. and bike.

I doubt you would be disappointed with either.

Thanks! Really good to know the Canyon is not as much of a race position as the Supersix!
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Had the same queries, some good answered here.

http://road.cc/content/forum/116511-geometry-questions

Came from an Allez too :)
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    as an owner of the Canyon I can only say that its a great bike, really great. I highly doubt you'd be disapointed with either.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
  • Miles253 wrote:
    Had the same queries, some good answered here.

http://road.cc/content/forum/116511-geometry-questions
    Thanks very good thread! Which bike did you go for in the end?

@adamfo - yes, i noticed the Synapse is the Bike of the year too. If they were in stock I'd probably have one by now. But then I came across the Canyons with their great reviews and spec.

I've rearranged the spacers on my Allez to give a more aggressive position. Planning a few rides this weekend to test it out. 50k this morning was fine but need a few longer runs.

@Supermurph09 - I'm leaning towards the Canyon but probably can't make a bad choice here.
  • Miles253
    To be honest I am still rafting about, plus not really in a position to spend the money right now, when I don't know what style to go for, so i, like you am going to try and get lower on my Allez first, plus a bike fit.

For the money Canyon all the way, but no point getting great vfm if it doesn't fit me right. Good luck with your choice, I can't see you would regret either
  • slow_step
    slow_step Posts: 18
    I've had both bikes. I recently got a Canyon CF 9.0 to replace a stolen 2008 Cannondale Synapse that I had upgraded to a Dura Ace groupset and various other finishing kit upgrades over the years. The Canyon rides a lot better, more responsive and agile, just as comfy as the Synapse. I do prefer more aggressive geometry however, found the Synapse felt a bit sluggish in comparison.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    slow_step wrote:
    I've had both bikes. I recently got a Canyon CF 9.0 to replace a stolen 2008 Cannondale Synapse that I had upgraded to a Dura Ace groupset and various other finishing kit upgrades over the years. The Canyon rides a lot better, more responsive and agile, just as comfy as the Synapse. I do prefer more aggressive geometry however, found the Synapse felt a bit sluggish in comparison.

The 2014 Synapse is a toatally different bike though. Geo and frame different to the 2008 model you had.
  • Miles253
    Headtube seems much lower, so you can get more aggressive on it
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You can account for geometry differences by adjusting stem height and length. Choose the one you like the look of most.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Thanks for all the advice! I've ordered the Canyon :D I'm told I should have it by the 24th May.

I'm planning on doing the Dragon Ride (medio fondo) in early June, hopefully I'll have it broken in by then (or it will have broken me in).

I've order the same one that's pictured in this thread which was also very helpful - http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12946524
  • daxern
    daxern Posts: 3
    Congrats on your new bike Marcus! I have been looking into Canyon and Cannondale for a couple of months now and im still finding it extremely hard to choose.

Gonna hijack your thread for a moment, if that is ok! :)
    I get 15% off Cannondale from my local shop so it stands between an Supersix Evo Ultegra and the Canyon CF SL 9.0 Ultegra. They are the same price but the Canyon got better wheels and is 450g lighter(?). Do you guys have any input regarding these two bikes? I don't need it before late may so i can wait for the Canyon, which ships in week 25.

Thanks in advance!
  • gr5673
    gr5673 Posts: 42
    daxern wrote:
    Congrats on your new bike Marcus! I have been looking into Canyon and Cannondale for a couple of months now and im still finding it extremely hard to choose.

Gonna hijack your thread for a moment, if that is ok! :)
    I get 15% off Cannondale from my local shop so it stands between an Supersix Evo Ultegra and the Canyon CF SL 9.0 Ultegra. They are the same price but the Canyon got better wheels and is 450g lighter(?). Do you guys have any input regarding these two bikes? I don't need it before late may so i can wait for the Canyon, which ships in week 25.

Thanks in advance!

Hope you decide soon! Im in the same boat, Supersix Evo Ultera or CF SL 9.0 team colours. I had a Supersix before I got injured in 2012 and would love to see the difference between that and an Evo, but those colours on the canyon! and having never used campagnolo, its tough :P
  • daxern
    GR5673 wrote:
    Hope you decide soon! Im in the same boat, Supersix Evo Ultera or CF SL 9.0 team colours. I had a Supersix before I got injured in 2012 and would love to see the difference between that and an Evo, but those colours on the canyon! and having never used campagnolo, its tough :P
    Thank you! Going to try out the Supersix Evo Ultegra this weeek :D
  • daxern
    God dammit!!! All Supersix Evo's are sold out and not available before the middle of June :( I knew i should have been quicker when deciding what to get. Gonna start looking at the Canyon SL CF now...FUCK
    I tried the CAAD 10 60cm and it was a perfect fit, im considering all options.
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    Why not try canyons outlet shop and the ultimate slx :-)
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • Miles253
    rgasuk wrote:
    Why not try canyons outlet shop and the ultimate slx :-)

+1 I've seen them on there with Ultegra for £2000
  • kevinr24
    kevinr24 Posts: 12
    I've just upgraded from an Allez. Got my new Synapse Ultegra this weekend. The ride is incredible - smooth, cushioned on the rough stuff and rapid. I did a 40-mile ride on it and wasn't beaten up like I was by the Specialized so I'm expecting 4-6 hour rides will be the same. The 105 version may just be in your price range. Whatever bike you choose, make sure it's comfortable and you get a good bike fit too. Pictures of my Synapse are on my blog - http://richardsonkevin.wordpress.com. I'll write more about the bike after a few long rides (currently it's chucking it down and blowing a gale).
  • kevinr24
    kevinr24 Posts: 12
    Oh and if it helps with the aggressive versus more relaxed geometry issue, one LBS explained that the Synapse has about 95% of the performance of a Super 6 Evo but with all that extra comfort. Like the Defy Advanced, it's a bike that you can do sportives on and race. From my first few rides, I'd say that is right.
  • Miles253
    That's the kind of bike I need, not convinced I'm ready for out and out race bike geo