Canyon Ultimate AL SLX

Frazzle88
Frazzle88 Posts: 23
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hey people, anyone ridden or have a canyon ultimate al slx? Was looking at a new bike last year but it never happened so hopefully this year it will and i like the look of this bike but im wondering if its comfortable enough to sit in all day?
Not planning on racing it or anything but dont wanna hang about either, any reviews/comments would be helpful on the geometry from the average cyclist as im coming from a specialized allez.

cheers.

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Frazzle88 wrote:
    Hey people, anyone ridden or have a canyon ultimate al slx? Was looking at a new bike last year but it never happened so hopefully this year it will and i like the look of this bike but im wondering if its comfortable enough to sit in all day?
    Not planning on racing it or anything but dont wanna hang about either, any reviews/comments would be helpful on the geometry from the average cyclist as im coming from a specialized allez.

cheers.
    I presume you've already seen this?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -14-48151/

I haven't ridden one but all reports suggest it's fairly comfortable. The geometry is provided on the Canyon website so if you look up the geometry of th eAllez you can do a direct comparison. The most important measurements will typically be the top tube length and the head tube length.
  • Having had 2 of the older AL's they are a superb frame, probably not far behind the CAAD10.
    With SRAM force it should be pretty lightweight as well. I'd probably ditch the elites in favour of some 23mm handbuilts or carbon tubs personally.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Frazzle88
    Hey, yeh id seen the review but with it winning best race bike i was wondering if it should only be used for that purpose? I've checked out the geometries of both bikes and they ain't a huge amount different in their comparative sizes as far as i can make out but i could always be wrong, was just looking for another riders view rather than trying to gauge it from measurements on paper.

Cheers.
  • I have a 2014 AL ultegra which is a 60 gram heavier frame but same geometry. I bought it as a training bike really and only intended to do midweek rides up to 2 hours. It really surprised me just how good it is though and I have taken it out on a few weekend rides up to 6 hours. It's not as good as my CF SLX but it is not far behind. It feels really stiff and agile but definitely comfortable for an all day. I guess the new forks and seat post must help.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Frazzle88 wrote:
    Hey, yeh id seen the review but with it winning best race bike i was wondering if it should only be used for that purpose? I've checked out the geometries of both bikes and they ain't a huge amount different in their comparative sizes as far as i can make out but i could always be wrong, was just looking for another riders view rather than trying to gauge it from measurements on paper.

Cheers.
    The review's worth a look but personally I wouldn't put much stock in how they classify bikes. Cycling Plus/Bikeradar are continually contradicting themselves and saying silly stuff! For example last year they did a list of Sportive bikes and included the Rose CRS 3100 which if memory serves is notably lower at the front than the Ultimate AL. Maybe I'm just a big sceptic but I suspect they like to keep as many companies happy as possible and they classify the bikes with this in mind so they can spread out the awards! :wink:
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    Having had my cf slx a few months now I am very happy with it . I find it very comfy, and felt great after 130k ride the other day. This was coming from a madone and I think ( biased ) they are worlds apart, the whole process through canyon was great, even if I did alter my selection a few times. I was lucky enough to test a cf ultimate first, but I'm sure I'd easily buy without trying in the future . The vfm is unbeatable .
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • halfround
    halfround Posts: 44
    I have an Al 9 and find it very comfortable, not much different to my steel bike. Did 75 miles on it today and feeling fine.
    They do have quite a tall front end I put a -17 deg stem on mine , so if you like a low front you might be out of luck.
    Also they have a 1.25 steerer so stems are hard to find.
  • Frazzle88
    good info guys, cheers for the replies! Easy decision then.